Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

New Roku Premiere is not working

Just purchased a Roku Premiere (upgrading Roku 2 unit), and I'm having issues getting it past the software update process.  It goes through the setup (finds local network), "completes" the software update - then sends me back to the startup screen each time.  This is the SECOND unit I've tried - both had the same issue.  I've tried hard reboot, unplug and restart, different TV, moved closer to the router (right next to it!) - all to no avail.  After working on this for the past 2+ hours (again!) - and finding out that I cannot get tech support for my model - I am ready to take it back and look at other non-Roku options.  Has anyone else seen similar issues?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku Premiere is not working

I have the same unit and no, I didn't encounter this problem. Unfortunately, it seems you hit two defective units. If you have an alternate Internet connection to try (a phone hotspot, or a friend's home), you might see if that helps. I've heard of it being successful for others.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@jtbeal 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Good news... I used a mobile hotspot (per the two suggestions) and - it worked!  Once the updates were complete and channels loaded, I switched to my home network and everything seems fine now.  Thank you very much for the help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Premier setup keeps repeating

Hi. I have a ROKU premier and I am trying to install it on a Proscan 720p TV.  It is supposed to be supported.  We select language, connect to the WiFi and the it does the software update.   After updated and restart it does right back to select language and it just keep repeating.  We tried all 3 HDMI ports.   Different HDMI cable.  I did a factory reset 3x.  Still keeps doing the same thing.  Any suggestions. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Premier setup keeps repeating

@jkovalchick 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos