Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
amy5
Level 7

Re: New Roku Premiere Won’t get past update

Jump to solution

Same issue as several others with this restart loop after "updating" software. Have tried all of the suggestions with no change. Thoughts? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CodeButcher
Level 9

Jump to solution

My Roku Express finally updated. I used a spare router I use for my Jobsite when I setup CCTV cams. I setup my router to have no password, temporarily.  Went through setup, downloaded the latest firmware and restarted. To my amazement it worked.  I then moved the Roku to the location I wanted to use it and connect to the regular router (the one that previously kept looping) and it worked fine.

I don't know if there was a recent update on the server. I had one theory that the ports may be blocked preventing the update to reconnect to the link server.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MrZombieJeff
Level 7

Jump to solution

I solved my issue as well.  After researching the specs of the device, and seeing the antenna was only 802.11bgn, I decided to try something.

Both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks on my WiFi router shared the same SSID, which I had been connecting to with the Roku.  I changed the 2.4ghz network to a different SSID, connected the Roku, and viola it connected and updated successfully.

If your router is sharing the same WiFi network name for both wireless bands, I would suggest renaming the 2.4ghz to something else, and ensure the Roku is connected to it.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jamiemcd44
Level 7

Re: Infinite restart loop after downloading updates

Jump to solution

Solved problem by setting router to  802.11g only ---- it had been mixed.

I tried 802.11n only and problem stayed.

Up and running  who hoo!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
WhoKnew
Level 7

Jump to solution

Apparently there is no answer, just questions. No solutions, just guessing by customers. Try this, try that.

Highlighted
WhoKnew
Level 7

Jump to solution

Sent it back- fixed all the problems!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
FocusST
Level 7

Re: New Roku EXPRESS Won’t get past update

Jump to solution

I just bought a Roku Express today and having the same issue won't get past update. I do have a Roku Ultra which I got a year ago on another tv still works fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CodeButcher
Level 9

Jump to solution

I had the same problem and have been following this situation.  I was able to get it working after 3 weeks of failing.  Apparently after the update it (Roku Express et. al.) gets very picky on what type of WiFi connection, but from my solution, using an older 802.11 b/g WiFi connection did the trick. Just as an added measure, I disabled the WiFi Password (temporarily) so it would obstruct the setup process.  All other solutions seem to point at the router, though I was skeptical at first because it would connect to the router and save the password. After using an older router that was 802.11 b/g it connected. Then after the link code displayed, and complete the Setup.  I was able to reconnect to the Main router that was previously failing after the setup was complete.

What brand and model WiFi Router are you using?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MrZombieJeff
Level 7

Jump to solution

I would suggest you force the Roku to connect to your 2.4ghz wireless network.  If you are running both 2.4 and 5 bands with the same SSID, I would rename the 2.4 network to be something unique, and try again. 

0 Kudos