Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: New Roku Premiere Won’t get past update

Jump to solution

@Dilsaz 

Thanks for the inquiry. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

I have passed along your concerns to our Support team. If you still have not heard back from them within 1-2 business days, please feel free to send me a PM and I will make sure you are assisted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

This is the exact issue I am having.  I've tried rebooting both the router and the Roku.  I used my wifi hotspot, nothing works.  This is very frustrating.  I thought it was because this was an old device, but after reading these comments, I'm afraid to buy a newer device that won't work either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku 1 won't get past update screen on first use

Jump to solution

My daughter is here, so I found a Roku 1 that I had never used.  Plugged it into her TV, and it went through language, connecting to network, updating, restart....and then it does the same thing again and again.  I've tried restarting the Roku, restarting the router, using a wifi hotspot, nothing works.  I'm afraid to go out and buy a new version because I'm seeing lots of people with newer versions expressing the same problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku 1 won't get past update screen on first use

Jump to solution

@Ann1956 

Thanks for the update.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

If I can't get to the screen with the code then how do I get a Roku account?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Teadragon wrote:

If I can't get to the screen with the code then how do I get a Roku account?

You create a Roku Account on the Roku website. I don't recall if the Community Account is the same. Then after successfully restarting your device after restart, you should get a Code from the screen. There is a link the upper right of the Roku website to active the device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Defective Roku after software update

Jump to solution

Hi, can you help with Roku? Is does not want to pass the updating 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had the same issue with a brand new roku premiere on an LG tv. It would just loop and loop. It was connected to the TV via USB for power. We switched the power to plug into the wall and it fixed the problem for us. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Faley1212 wrote:

Hi, can you help with Roku? Is does not want to pass the updating 

It's restart that is the problem, It's trying to determine the TV resolutions via the HDMI cable. Like I stated previously, don't use the included HDMI cable if you have an Express or Ultra. Use a better cable if possible. Second, the distance or strength of the WiFi also plays a role. Make sure you have a Strong WiFi signal or move closer to the WiFi router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Have the same problem as well.  Gets to software update, downloads to 100%, restarts and gets to same update software screen, and repeats over and over.   Tried different HDMI cables from other roku's.  Tried wifi and mobile hotspots for downloading update.  Tried plugging it into 3 different TV's.   

0 Kudos