Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: New Roku Premiere Won’t get past update

Jump to solution

@Rslush37 

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device powered by the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
CodeButcher
Level 9

Jump to solution

I pretty much had no problem with the update, I did however had a slight problem with the activation. It just sat there for a while until I asked for a new Code.  Then it finally connected and updated.  I guess my past experience with the Express helped. 

Two thing I need to point out. WiFi connection must be solid, I mean, is you need a strong and consistent signal from the WiFi.  In my case it's in the same room about 3 feet away.  Second is the HDMI cable and possibly the TV you are using.  The included cable is junk. Use a higher quality cable. Also I've never had any luck initially setting up with Vizio TVs, but that may be because they were far away from WiFi source, but work fine afterwards.  Some lower end or older TVs may have a problem with the Resolution Auto Detect.

0 Kudos
Rslush37
Level 7

Jump to solution

My roku is plugged into the wall at this point. I first had it plugged into a power strip, but got rid of that to see if that solved it. It did not.  I now cannot get past setting up the wifi without it restarting. I unplugged it for 30 sec after hitting the factory reset button on the back. I logged onto my account online and disconnected it from my account to see if that helped as well. 

0 Kudos
Rslush37
Level 7

Jump to solution

After the complete meltdown above, I was able to get all the way thru the set up once more after performing another factory reset. I reconnected it to my account and got to my home screen. I launched the disney plus app. I hit sign in, then the back button, then the home button. The roku showed a black screen and then reset back to the language choice screen. It still shows it attached to my account, but it won't just turn on and go to my home screen. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Rslush37 

Thanks for the update.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Smitja12
Level 7

Roku reset after setting up wifi and updating

Jump to solution

I tried to set up my roku but after setting up the wifi and updating, it just reset! It did this for about 30 minutes so I did everything and even a factory reset. Now I have a defective and am about to have a massive hole in my wall. Is there any way to fix this???!!!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku reset after setting up wifi and updating

Jump to solution

@Smitja12 

Thanks for the post.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can finish updating and setting up your Roku device. Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Chief1
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

I rebooted both, connected through a hotspot. No change still can't get past the updates. What next? Thanks, Michael

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Chief1 

Thanks for the update.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue after connecting to a mobile hotspot, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
HCG1400
Level 7

Re: Defective Roku after software update

Jump to solution

Danny, 

Stop suggesting the same update advice.  It isn't working.  There are hundreds of people with useless devices that are stuck because it won't update.  

Figure this out, or find someone that can.

HG