Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

New Roku Premiere Won’t get past update

Jump to solution
Just bought a new Roku Premiere and am currently trying to set up for the first time. It asks for my language, then internet connection, then does the update and reboots. When it reboots, it keeps bringing my back to choose my language and starts all over again. We can’t get past this. Any help?
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Infinite restart loop after downloading updates

Jump to solution

After numerous troubleshooting steps: hard reset, trying a mobile hotspot instead of my home WiFi, etc., I finally resolved this in a simple way.

Simply moving the HDMI cable to a different HDMI port on my TV for some reason allowed me to progress on past this and on to the screen type detection. I assume that maybe for some reason the Roku was not able to detect the screen resolution through that HDMI port, and glitched out.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: New Roku Premiere Won’t get past update

Jump to solution

I had the same problem. It constantly restarted after apparently installing the update, then went back to the language selection. I have very high speed broadband, but after about 20 failed attempts, I decided to use my phone as a hotspot and connected to that. It was a bit slow, but lo and behold it actually worked. I left it on that connection to download all the TV channels and it did so successfully. As an additional precaution, I rebooted my router and restarted the Roku stick. On restart, I reconnected to my broadband, as opposed to my mobile hotspot. It has been working perfectly ever since. I hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
165 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

We are having the same issue.  Bought on Friday and still can’t get past update. We have tried different cords, resetting, different tv, different hdmi ports. Nothing seems to help. Tried calling tech support but it said the device was ineligible for tech support. Would love some assistance. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Did either of you figure out a fix for this? I just received a Roku Premier for Christmas and am having the exact same issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Kricketts79 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same problem.  I bought a Roku TCL TV last year.  It worked great for several months, then froze up and would play only PBS.  I eventually tried a factory reset.  Once I did, it could not get past the updating software process. It’s an endless loop.  I bought a new router, then tried hard wiring it.  Same effect.

I also bought a new Roku Ultra.  Same result on both the wireless and wired connections.

Can you help?  Frustrating that there is not a direct line to Roku tech support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@MCLoesch 

Thanks for the note.

Have you tried rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device? I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Danny, I am having the same issue. I have tried the steps you outlined with no luck. Please advise 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Danny -

Not only did I reboot my router, but as noted above, I purchased an entirely new router and replaced the old one.

Both it and the Roku have been rebooted multiple times.

Everything else is running fine on this network with the same password.  We stream readily from Netflix and Amazon Prime on our computers.  I really do not think that there is a network issue.  If there is, it would show with some other device and would have been fixed or at least effected by replacing the router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I tried setting up my new Roku Premiere and could not get past the system update.  It is connected to wifi, it downloads the update, then it restarts and the process loops again and again.  I rebooted the router with no effect.  I used my phone as a mobile hotspot, had no connection issues, but continued the update loop.  What is the next step to resolve this issue? 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

The exact same issue is popping up with the ROKU Express. Sure seems like an update issue.

0 Kudos