Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Defective Roku after software update

Jump to solution

@Zacskev 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.

Please make sure that when trying to perform a factory reset on your device that you hold down the reset button for 30 seconds regardless of what is happening on the screen.

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response Danny, I've reset my internet modem, factory reset the device for 30 sec a few times, tried different tvs and have even hot spotted off my phone. It allows me to Pick language, pick internet, download new software but when it reboots it just sticks on the jumping Roku icon for hours.

What do you recommend?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Zacskev 

Thanks for the note.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device). I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Zacskev wrote:

Thanks for the response Danny, I've reset my internet modem, factory reset the device for 30 sec a few times, tried different tvs and have even hot spotted off my phone. It allows me to Pick language, pick internet, download new software but when it reboots it just sticks on the jumping Roku icon for hours.

What do you recommend?

Move it closer to the WiFi source if it's not Full bar/100% signal. Change the HDMI cable, don't use the included cable. I recently posted in another thread for possible solutions to setup problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue here. I have the Roku Premiere stick. It launches, I connect to the internet successfully, it updates the firmware, restarts, and gets stuck on the logo screen. I have rebooted my modem, restarted the Roku stick (holding the tiny button for 30+ seconds) and tried a different HDMI port. Is there a way to avoid doing the software update for now?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: New Roku Premiere Won’t get past update

Jump to solution

Hello - I have the same issue except with a recently purchased Roku Express.  I've tried a different HDMI port, a different tv, which has an Express connected and works fine, re-setting the device, and a mobile hotspot with no luck.  Any other options?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: New Roku Premiere Won’t get past update

Jump to solution

@Bookimdano62 wrote:

Hello - I have the same issue except with a recently purchased Roku Express.  I've tried a different HDMI port, a different tv, which has an Express connected and works fine, re-setting the device, and a mobile hotspot with no luck.  Any other options?

How far is the WiFi router to the Express? I've noticed you need to get a Strong signal for it to update properly, after that even a 50% signal will work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Setting up second device

Jump to solution

I keep getting caught in the software update loop.

I select the language & my wifi network, and then the loop begins. It re-starts for the software update and then takes me back to the beginning each time.

Help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Setting up second device

Jump to solution

@Summer11 

If you can, try using your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect to that just to get past the initial update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Setting up second device

Jump to solution

I'm not sure how to do that.

I tried using other networks that I have access to, but the same issue occurred.

0 Kudos