Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Infinite restart loop after downloading updates

Jump to solution

After numerous troubleshooting steps: hard reset, trying a mobile hotspot instead of my home WiFi, etc., I finally resolved this in a simple way.

Simply moving the HDMI cable to a different HDMI port on my TV for some reason allowed me to progress on past this and on to the screen type detection. I assume that maybe for some reason the Roku was not able to detect the screen resolution through that HDMI port, and glitched out.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: New Roku Premiere Won’t get past update

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R  Hi Danny. I am running into the same issue. I have followed all of the troubleshooting tips with no luck. The update completes and then the system reboots and loops back to the setup. I’ve tried the connection using different HDMI ports and even a different TV in my home. I rebooted my router, modem, even changed my wireless password. I have a Roku Ultra that I’ve had for a year. I normally use it with a wired connection, so I decided to connect it to the same wireless network that I’ve been trying to connect my new Premiere to (just to make sure there wasn’t an issue with my wireless network). I had no problem what so ever with the Ultra connecting and running on the wireless network. It seems to be a problem with the software update. If the system successfully updates to 100%, then reloops back it wouldn’t make sense that it’s a network issue. Please help all of us resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Stacielee79 

Thanks for the inquiry.

I'd recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot to see if you can download the software update and finish setting up your device.

If that is unable to resolve your issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same issue.   Brand new Roku Express, out of the box... connects to WiFi, downloads update, reboots... over and over.  Went back to store and exchanged it, new one does the exact same thing again.  This time I tried with mobile hotspot, it makes no difference.  Just infinite loop of: connect to wifi, download update, reboot.

About to return this one again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@MrZombieJeff 

Thanks for the note.

I have passed along the information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Had the same problem until I rebooted the router and smooth sailing after that. Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: trying to install Roku premiere will not let me get past software update, keeps repeating update

Jump to solution

Can you please post the solution here? Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: trying to install Roku premiere will not let me get past software update, keeps repeating update

Jump to solution

I don't know if this will work for everyone...I quite simply unplugged the router, waited 30 seconds before plugging back in.  The Roku was still running the entire time and when I went back to see what it was doing it had went on to the next level of the setup.  Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I tried rebooting my router while going through this with the first unit.  After returning that one and getting the second, brand new unit, I used a mobile hotspot instead.  Same exact issue.  

I’ve tried: 2 new Rokus, using 2 new hdmi cables, on 2 different TVs, using 2 different networks.  

No difference. I highly suspect the issue is related to the current update being pushed to the device.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was having the same problem, tried all the fixes and nothing worked. Then last night after having it unplugged and put back in the box to return, I tried one last time and it just worked.  Probably not helpful, but just wanted to let everyone know that it either fixed itself with a 3 week vacation or they fixed the issue on their end.  Good luck.

0 Kudos