Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hookem085
Level 7

Re: Start up problem. Update loop. Endless

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@Woody74 @hookem085 

Thanks for the posts.

How are you powering your Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

In addition, we recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can finish updating and setting up your Roku device. Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Did all of the above / Plan on returning and having a TV not being used...I have 2 ROKUs that work just fine. This will be the 2nd express I will have to return with in 2 weeks as both would ... at 1st connect to wifi but would not go pass the update... would "let's get started > connect to wifi > update > ROKU letters dance screen turns purple > let's get started > connect to wifi > update > ROKU letters dance screen turns purple and so on..... then I would turn on Hotspot would get pass the update allow me to activate account then it no longer recognizes my WIFI and there is nothing I can do... 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Trouble Setting up Roku Express+

@snosnake @hookem085 

Thanks for the posts.

Please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
hookem085
Level 7

Re: Trouble Setting up Roku Express+

aent you a "PM" days ago so I assume the "NO RESPONSE" means there is not a fix and I should return to AMAZON... Please let me know when there is a fix so I can purchase a ROKU EXPRESS

0 Kudos
roni12
Level 7

Re: Stuck on connect to wifi

trying to setup 2nd roku.  network name is there, password is correct...says it is connecting but just loops back to the network screen, and its stuck there.  Can't go to home page either.  Restarted wifi also

0 Kudos
Juliaholtuk
Level 7

Re: New Roku Express won't go past update to set up.

I also have same problem 

Roku 3900UK was working except for Disney+ . Having looked at this site I realised there was a new update available so attempted to update.  Now stuck in never-ending of update cycle.

i have followed all the suggestions here, both resets, turned Router off and on, etc and now I can’t use it all . 

Is Roku worth buying in the future.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @Juliaholtuk,

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.
If that still doesn't clear up the issue you're experiencing, we recommend contacting the channel provider directly to follow-up for more help. They’ll be able to best assist with any issues that are occurring within their channel.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
Iambobbyv
Level 7

I had the same endless loop trying to finish software update. I’ve reset the Roku Premiere several times, successfully connected to my 2.4 GHz WiFi, internet access self check completed fine. 

I reconnected to an alternate power source, I used the original power adapter and cable that came in the box. I was connected to a surge protector power strip, this time I bypassed the power strip and connected directly into a wall outlet. This time the update completed successfully and moved on to finish the setup.

Basically, if you tried everything but an alternative power source; give it a shot, it worked for me!

nace
Level 7

I just bought a roku and it did its update and now it wont go past the purple screen with the jumping roku iv reset it using the reset button on back of roku 5 times and it jst goes off then its the same thing over and over unplugged it multiple times and nothing

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @nace,

We appreciate your post.

Have you tried plugging your Roku device on a different HDMI port or a different TV, just to test and isolate the issue?

I've provided a link to go into further detail: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected ... - Roku

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
EvilDrewM24
Level 7

I am having the same issue with a new Roku SE.  This is the 5th Roku device on my network.  The first 4 were set up without issue and all work fine.  This one however refuses to update.  I have hard reset it numerous times as well as rebooted my entire network.

I look forward to the cut & paste response from a Roku employee telling me to check out their article on troubleshooting this (which basically says my internet connection is probably down) and then try a different network.  As a point of reference Roku Employees - I am submitting this reply on the same wireless network so if it posts this response then my network/internet is working.

I am about to just return the **bleep** thing since it doesn't sound like anyone has found an actual solution to this issue.

0 Kudos