Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

New Roku Express won't go past update to set up.

Trying to set Roku Express, wireless & connection checks green, looks and starts update, then kicks me out with error 005.  I have been at this for 3 hours now and tried every trick I can find online.  We bought the Roku Premiere last weekend for living room and had no issues and works great.  I even unplugged the Premiere and tried setting up the Express on the other TV and still same thing happened.  Help, anyone?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: New Roku Express won't go past update to set up.

@Nikki-71 

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device is unable to update software?

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device as well as trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update and setup your device. Then once the device is setup, you can connect back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue with a just-out-of-the-box Roku Premiere. It will not go past initial software update, returns error 005. We do not have a mobile hotspot! But we have 100mbs+ 5g wifi and 2g at about half that mbs rate. I cannot reset the Roku device because I can't reach its settings page. I rebooted the wifi even though all our devices are twice as far away as the TV and they all work fine at 100mbs+. This Roku only sees our 2G wifi band.

So far the only 'solution' relating to this error that I've found in your forums is to take this puppy back to the store. I'm not impressed that I have to dub around in users forums for setup assistance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

The Premiere is single-band and won't see the 5GHz network.  To factory reset it, find the pinhole on the back and while it's powered up press and hold the reset button with something like a paperclip for no less than 30 seconds while ignoring anything happening on the screen.  I hate to say it, but that probably won't help.  There was a person that reported that disabling the 5GHz AP temporarily in his router got his TV to complete the setup on 2.4GHz.  I don't know if his TV supported 5GHz or not and it certainly doesn't make any sense for a device that doesn't, but it would be interesting to try nonetheless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Keeps Updating

I just got the Roku Express and it keeps just having me pick a language, connect to wifi, and then says that it has to update after that it just goes to a blank purple screen for a minute before starting over again.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Keeps Updating

@jimstocker 

Thanks for the post.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update and finish setting up your Roku device. Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

New Roku setup endless loop

Just bought a new Roku Express. I plugged it all in, it prompted me to choose the language from a language selection menu, then prompted me to enter my wifi and password....now it’s on an endless loop of re-displaying the language selection menu, a black screen, and then the Roku logo over and over again for the last half hour. I’ve tried unplugging the device, I’ve tried rebooting and I plugging the wifi (although everything else using the wifi is working without issue when I try them). Anyone else having this issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: New Roku setup endless loop

@TheTLC 

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device is unable to update software?

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device as well as trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update and setup your device. Then once the device is setup, you can connect back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Stuck in Update Loop

My Roku express is stuck in a constant update loop and won't get past setting up network connections. I have no idea how to fix this Roku Express (3900 series)  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Stuck in Update Loop

Are you using the supplied power adapter?

0 Kudos