Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mariah4205
Reel Rookie

New Roku Express causing headphone problems

Jump to solution

I recently bought a Roku Express because I was told that my former Roku device was not going to be able to stream Prime videos after November 1st. We also currently have a pair of RF headphones connected to our TV for my husband who can’t hear well, and they worked fine with the former Roku device.

Now that I have setup the new Roku Express, every time the headphones are removed from the docking station, Roku tells me there is a problem with my internet connection and whatever show we are watching can’t be loaded. If we return the headphones to the dock and restart the show, it will easily play.

Please advise—thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: New Roku Express causing problems w/headphones

Jump to solution

Sounds like the headphones are working on same frequency. 

Try turning off screen mirroring on Roku (to turn off the "direct" WiFi connection broadcast by roku). 

Otherwise, will need to configure router to broadcast different channel and reset the WiFi details on roku. Roku settings will tell you which WiFi channel is in use.

If your router supports 5ghz, then the slightly more expensive Express 4k, ultra or sticks should avoid the problem (although if router uses same SSID for 2.4 and 5 you may need to tweak config to force the roku onto 5ghz)

Not a Roku employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Sounds like the headphones are working on same frequency. 

Try turning off screen mirroring on Roku (to turn off the "direct" WiFi connection broadcast by roku). 

Otherwise, will need to configure router to broadcast different channel and reset the WiFi details on roku. Roku settings will tell you which WiFi channel is in use.

If your router supports 5ghz, then the slightly more expensive Express 4k, ultra or sticks should avoid the problem (although if router uses same SSID for 2.4 and 5 you may need to tweak config to force the roku onto 5ghz)

Not a Roku employee
mariah4205
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you! I bought an Express 4K+ and during the setup, I made sure to pick the 5ghz choice on my router. Husband is now happily using his headphones. Thanks again!

0 Kudos