Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
problems
Level 9

New ROKU Express seems to lock up after software update - can not get link code

Jump to solution

Setting up brand new Roku Express.  All connections are good / green.   Starts up with a non-optional software update.   Not sure the software update is successful since it completes quickly and goes into the ROKU-Wiggly-Worm dance, and when that ends the screen goes black and then it displays a dark blue screen and sits there for a long time,   Then must time out and the ROKU-Wiggly-Worm dance starts again.  Wash-Rinse-Repeat.   Seems there is something wrong with the software update.   Tried a different HDMI cable, but that should have nothing to do with the connection for the software update and the Link Code.   Would be much better if ROKU had a call center where we could talk to someone.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
problems
Level 9

Re: New ROKU Express seems to lock up after software update - can not get link code

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.   

I have long since returned two ROKU Express units and one Express Plus.  All had the same problem. Recreated it on two different TV's, both were NOT smart TV's. but both have worked with other Express units I have in the house.

Bought a ROKU Streaming Stick and the software update worked as expected.   

I suggest you simply order a ROKU Express from Walmart (and NOT use one from your lab) , set it up on a TV with HDMI which is NOT a smart TV, and watch the software update brick the unit.   Good Luck!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
35 Replies
Highlighted
galaxie_man
Level 7

Re: New ROKU Express seems to lock up after software update - can not get link code

Jump to solution

Same exact problem here, except I did a hard reset and now even after a power reset, I get the dancing ROKU logo, a flashing light on the front, and nothing else. I had gone through several cycles of the setup as well; pick a language, setup a Wi-Fi network, got all green check marks, and then the prompt to hit OK for the latest software.....then hung. How about some kind of assistance, people?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@problems @galaxie_man 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error code: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jblack248
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue here, with a brand new Express+. Was able to boot up, connect to WiFi, and then had to accept a non-optional update. The update downloaded quickly and the unit rebooted. Since then it's been stuck on the dancing Roku logo, with nothing fixing it. Tried hard resets multiple times (holding for 20 seconds, 30 seconds, a minute, no difference), used the included USB wall charger, and swapped HDMI cables - nothing worked.

I have multiple other Rokus, all working fine. This seems to be a faulty update which bricks the unit. Considering there's nothing else you can do, it's being returned.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
problems
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for taking the time to share your similar issues.  Although somehow I think vindication is over-rated.  I also think self-service is over-rated - such as the self-service we are forced to pursue with ROKU customer support.   I presume ROKU support monitors these posts, and assuming my assumptions are correct {:->) they should dig in and figure out what is wrong with their software update that it does not work on all their devices.   It would seem they could figure out the version of firmware we are running, and actually test their update code and fix it.  But I suspect they will hide behind their dancing logo and tell us it is our network, or our cable, or something else besides their untested software update.   I will give them 1 week before I bother returning mine.   It is going in a room that has not had a television, so another week without is not a big deal.   But the lousy support from ROKU is a big deal. 

Highlighted
problems
Level 9

Jump to solution

Danny, I presume you cut and paste that response as I have seen it a number of times in this forum.  All of us reporting this problem have done all of those things, several times.   I have been in IT support, dealing with poorly coded software updates where the developers blame the users.   Fix your code and let us know when it is fixed.

Highlighted

Just bought, won't start.

Jump to solution

We just bought Roku express. We hooked it up, selected our language then network then it said it was updating and would restart after update. Well when it finished updating it restarted but now our screen is blank. Nothing. When we turn out to off and back on it has us go through the same process again. I have tried the factory reset button on the device. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Raineylaker
Level 7

Roku express update fail

Jump to solution

Hi there, I got a new roku express today and trying to set it up but having problems with couple things. First, my screen turns on and the roku loading bounce begins and then goes away after few seconds and the screen remains blue for 5 to 10 minutes. Second, when I finally get it to pull up the get started, I select the language and go to select the WiFi but it will not connect, after n hour of resets on both router and roku it finally connects and brings up the update. And last, i proceed to do the update because there is nothing I can do further until it’s complete. It does the install to 100 percent and restarts then it continues to restart over and over about 8 times and then loads me to select language and start all over to connect to WiFi then update and 8 restarts over and over. Any solutions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Zer0
Level 7

Re: Just bought, won't start.

Jump to solution

I have had the same issue for over a week. My post was deleted from the forum so watch it close.

Highlighted
DLC_Photo
Level 7

Jump to solution

Having the exact same problem.I've tried all suggestions and the updated downloads then either goes to an error that says unable to verify or the dancing ROKU screen. Guess I'll have to go back to my firestick if this doesn't get resolved.

0 Kudos