Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: New ROKU Express seems to lock up after software update - can not get link code

Jump to solution

Danny, I have replaced my roku express with another express, same symptoms.  Everything goes south after the software update.   Just bought an Express +, same symptoms/ problems, only the remote on the express plus does not work after it tries to do some sort of voice command set up.   Ended up using a remote from one of the Express units to cycle through the steps (several times) on the +.   I have tried all 3 units about 3 feet away from my wireless router.   Hard reset multiple times.  Rebooted my network multiple times.   Disconnected power for extended period multiple times.     I know the network is good, ROKU shows 5 bars/arc's on the available network screen.  Sometimes connects, sometimes does not, and if it connects and does the mandatory software update it always locks up after that hits 100%.     I am returning all the units.   I may try a higher end roku model, but not sure why I need it.  I have two other express units working on other TV's in my house.  Something wrong with the current lot of hardware and/or firmware and/or the software update.     May also try a competitor.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: New ROKU Express seems to lock up after software update - can not get link code

Jump to solution

@problems 

Thanks for the update.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've tried all of the suggestions on this forum and other device forums that are reporting the same issue. Nothing has worked so the unit is going back in the box and back to amazon. With all the new units that are having issues I will probably wait until the tech guys figure out what they've done wrong before reordering.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

My paperclip (and my patience) is worn out from all the factory resets I have tried on 3 different, brand new, problematic units.   It is the software update making destructive changes to the capabilities of the ROKU, since everything goes as expected until the software update occurs.  Then nothing works anymore.   Please roll back the software update to previous working builds until you can figure it out,   If you want problem units to test with contact WALMART.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have now read through all of these because I have a ROKU Express & the remote decided to lock up last night for no known reason & I have had this Express for 2 years now.  First it locked up on the selection screen & after trying everything under the sun short of unplugging the unit, my screen just went black.  By that time it was 10:30 pm so I just said the heck with it, I would see what I could find today.  I am not encouraged at all after reading all of these as well as some other ones.  I will try unplugging it & see what happens with that but sure don't hold out any hope.  What a racket.  Almost makes you sorry you didn't stay with cable!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@problems Thanks for the added details here. I'm sorry to hear about the experience you're running into. Have you tried connecting any of the units experiencing this issue to a different make/model of TV, to see if you experience the same issue? 

I'd like to help take a closer look to see what else may be occurring. Feel free to send me a private message with your Roku device serial numbers printed on the unit(s), along with your TV information and a recap of the behavior that you see occurring. I'll follow up from there to help take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.   

I have long since returned two ROKU Express units and one Express Plus.  All had the same problem. Recreated it on two different TV's, both were NOT smart TV's. but both have worked with other Express units I have in the house.

Bought a ROKU Streaming Stick and the software update worked as expected.   

I suggest you simply order a ROKU Express from Walmart (and NOT use one from your lab) , set it up on a TV with HDMI which is NOT a smart TV, and watch the software update brick the unit.   Good Luck!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you however after trying new batteries, pulling the plug from the wall, pulling the roku from the tv, trying the reset on the roku & none of those worked.  I chose to go & purchase a new roku express instead of going another day without a tv.  The new one does work...for now....if it stops working & also locks up, not sure what I will do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. Roku connects to my internet, three green checks, then proceeds to the mandatory update, after which I get the Roku letters moving with the sound and everything, and then there's almost like a jarring, abrupt switch to a blank black screen, followed by a blank purple screen, which stays that way forever, then the letters come back to dance and it does that over and over. Reset only makes you connect to internet again and same thing happens. I am convinced the unit is flawed. I have a Roku Express+, brand new, my Device ID is C53952242919, SKU# 3910RW, Lot #2189037649. My TV is a Samsung. I had been using the original Roku on it for years with no problems, but was forced to "upgrade" because the unit became obsolete. It's unfortunate that what you think will be an "upgrade" ends up being this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Esal  Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about the experience you're running into. No need to worry, we'll help get things taken care of for you. Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and I'll help get you in touch with our support team. 

Thanks,

Tanner