Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: New ROKU Express seems to lock up after software update - can not get link code

Jump to solution

I purchased an additional brand new ROKU Express Plus from my local WalMart. As soon as I got it home I installed it and it worked perfectly. I DID NOT have to re-boot my router, or change my password to not have special characters, or any other kind of hokey nonsense type non-support.

I am returning the original ROKU Express (at my expense of course) tomorrow. IMHO...their software is half-baked and not tested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: New ROKU Express seems to lock up after software update - can not get link code

Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback.  Glad to learn your are up and running.   I will return mine today.  Not clear if I will get another one or not.   Happy New Year.  

To all the ROKU managers monitoring this thread, at some point, if not already, people will stop buying your products for more reliable devices and better support.   It is just a matter of time.    Good time of year to tweak your resume's.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Just bought, won't start.

Jump to solution

@OliviaColmenero @Zer0 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting network issues: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

@Zer0

Not sure what happened to your previous post, it doesn't look like you've posted prior to this post.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Just bought, won't start.

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R

We've returned your product. It's your equipment not our network.  If it was our network it wouldn't of connected to it at all in the first place or updated. Seriously, you're copying and pasting your reply without even truly caring about this problem. Will never buy your product again, nor recommend it. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Express + model 3931x can not see activation screen for this new device, cables are good etc.

Jump to solution

I tried to replaced my old Roku Express+ #3710x with a new Roku Express+ device 3931x so I  could receive other apps/channels that my old device would not support. However, I can not see the video on my TV with my new Roku device, it will control the volume and turn on/off the TV the Roku icon appears... then the TV screen flashes and no picture. It when through the first setup process of detecting a wireless connection and HDMI etc However it never went to the activation screen when setting up the device. I never got to see an activation number in order to link my new device. So I reinstalled my old Roku device and watched my programs. I have checked all cables, I even reset the new device and reinstalled it again, paired the remote and so forth..still same results Once again, I reinstalled my old device and it works as it should? Please advise. Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Express + model 3931x can not see activation screen for this new device, cables are good et

Jump to solution

@gman2264 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Express + model 3931x can not see activation screen for this new device, cables are good et

Jump to solution

Rebooted my router and the my new Roku Express+ still will not work. However, my OLD Roku express + stills works when I reinstalled it. I only purchased the new Roku device because my old Roku Express + does not support the AppleTV app. This new device has never completed the install and therefore I never see the activation link screen during setup. I guess I will need to return it to my local Walmart.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Nothing happens after updating software on Roku Express

Jump to solution

I have a projector that I am trying to connect a ROKU express to.  The Roku allows me to download the software update, but then the screen displays ROKU for a few seconds and then the screen goes blank.  After a minute or two it asks me to select the language and update software again.  

Does Roku work on a projector instead of a TV?  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance for any help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Nothing happens after updating software.....

Jump to solution

@Stoneb5 

You are doing nothing wrong, and a Roku player should work fine on a projector.

It sounds like your Express has gotten stuck in the software update portion of the initial setup. Unfortunately, it happens on occasion. For some, holding the hidden recessed Reset button for 30 seconds (and not one second less) clears the problem and can continue. For others, using a different method of connecting to the Internet (such as a phone hotspot) works. And sometimes, the device is just defective and needs to be exchanged for a new one. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@problems 

Thanks for the note.

We would recommend that you try to perform a factory reset on your device to see if it resolves your issue.

For more information on how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos