Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ctb17
Channel Surfer

Re: Opinions and general help

I truly appreciate your time and patience explaining things to me

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

You dont want to use a mobile data plan for any sort of regular streaming (its possible to connect your Rokus etc to your phone and use its internet connection through a process called "tethering", but it gets very expensive and problematic quickly).

You can call Comcast (Xfinity) or visit their website and get either a "double play" (Cable TV+Internet) or "triple play" (Cable TV+Internet+Phone) package deal likely cheaper than you are getting just Cable TV from them right now.

Or you can add Internet service and cancel Cable TV service - its all up to you, though the double/triple play packages are a very good deal.

If you get get a double/triple play package, you'll still have your current Cable TV service, and internet (double) and phone (triple), and you wont need an "Internet TV" provider - you can use the Xfinity app for Roku to watch Cable TV if you want, in addition to any subscription services you decide to subscribe to, or any of the many free (ad supported) apps/content.

https://www.xfinity.com/

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers?lob=tv,internet,voice

0 Kudos
Ctb17
Channel Surfer

I thank you very much again for your wonderful assistance. I am just thinking of going to Best Buy to have someone sell me whatever u recommend. I am very appreciative of your guidance. Thank u so much from a stupid old lady .

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

The key thing is to call Comcast/XFinity and get internet service (with a WiFi enabled modem/router/gateway that they should provide you) - whether you keep your current Cable TV service is up to you (remember, the double/triple play deals are often cheaper than a single service).

Once you get broadband internet service (from Comcast/XFinity), THEN go and get any streaming devices you want, one for each TV (again, I recommend the Express 4K+ model 3941 - $35 - it has a voice remote).

0 Kudos
Ctb17
Channel Surfer

Thank u very much for taking the time to explain things. U have been extremely helpful and patient 😀

0 Kudos