Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ctb17
Channel Surfer

Need general info - what does Roku require?

Hello I have no technical knowledge whatsoever. I have Comcast cable tv with no extra channels. It keeps increasing monthly because I think I’m the only person that has it. Anyhow I do not have any sort of computer, laptop, iPad etc. I also do not have WiFi or any computer hookup. I was watching a info on ROKU and am interested but don’t know what it requires? I’m an educated woman but just not with computer or cable knowledge 

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Opinions and general help

https://www.roku.com/how-it-works

Basic Requirements & considerations:

1) A TV/display device with HDMI port.

2) For wireless connections (all models support this), a WiFi connection (e.g. WiFi from your modem/router/gateway).  There are 2 "bands" of WiFi that Roku supports: 2.4Ghz (longer distance, fast) and 5Ghz (shorter distance, fastest) - however, though all support 2.4Ghz, only "dual band" devices support 5Ghz.

3) If you do get internet access, make sure you get a modem/router/gateway that has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi support (for wireless), and Ethernet ports (for wired) - most ISPs provide these for "free".

4) For wired connections (Ultra and the Express 4K/4K+ with USB ethernet adapter models), an ethernet connection (e.g. ethernet from your modem/router/gateway).

5) For subscription-based services and their apps (e.g. NetFlix, Prime), you need to install the app/login to it.

6) If you expect to replace your current cable package and still retain access to cable channels, you'll need an OTT (Over The Top - "Internet TV") provider (e.g. YouTube TV, Sling TV, Hulu Live TV, Fubo TV) - note that they are not all equal in price or channel offerings.

0 Kudos
Ctb17
Channel Surfer

Since I have Comcast I thought it was just the pandemic but everything on is reruns of shows from over 20 years ago. I am willing to get WIFI but have no computer will this be a money saver with ROKU? I’m 53 yrs old so not gaming etc just looking for a cheaper option than $120 a month for an old cable box and not even a remote I can speak into?

0 Kudos
Ctb17
Channel Surfer

I thank you greatly for your response however it is still all GREEK to me . I just bought an iPhone 12 and am clueless However I have found Best Buy to be helpful with idiots 🤪 like myself. Is there a cheaper tv u would suggest to get ne activated ? I have 2 TVs one is a vizio and other is the Best Buy brand but I have no paperwork for either.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Its not clear whether you already have internet access in addition to cable TV access from Comcast (or from another internet provider).  If you do, either they can enable the WiFi in your current device, or replace it with another device with WiFi (or you can buy your own device).

You should probably provide more details about your current internet access (name of provider, speed tier, current hardware device information), if any.

The cost of the Roku device is "one time":  model prices range from $30-100, though frequently they go on sale for $20-70

If you want a voice remote, I recommend getting the Express 4K+ model (the + version has a voice remote), which also has plenty of other capabilities if you ever need them, and is $35 (again, one time cost)

YouTube TV is $65/month, and is an OTT ("Internet Cable TV") provider (there are others I already mentioned, though I think YT TV has the best overall value).

0 Kudos
Ctb17
Channel Surfer

I’m sorry I did just expand more on my situation. I just have Comcast cable no movie channels or bells and whistles. I havNO computer access whatsoever 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Ctb17 wrote:

I thank you greatly for your response however it is still all GREEK to me . I just bought an iPhone 12 and am clueless However I have found Best Buy to be helpful with idiots 🤪 like myself. Is there a cheaper tv u would suggest to get ne activated ? I have 2 TVs one is a vizio and other is the Best Buy brand but I have no paperwork for either.

You should go here and read this information:  https://www.roku.com/how-it-works

If you already have TV's you dont need to get another one - just get a streaming device (like a Roku) for each TV and connect it to the HDMI port on the TV.

If you decided to cancel your Comcast Cable TV service but still want access to all the channels, you'll want an "Internet TV" provider like YouTube TV ($65/month) - considering you are paying around twice that ($120/month), you should save a lot of money.

Additionally, you can subscribe to services like NetFlix, Prime, Disney+, etc (these are subscriptions - additional $$) and access them via their apps.

You still haven't described what if any home internet broadband internet access you have.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Do you have any broadband internet access (perhaps from Comcast)?  How are you connected to the internet right now? using your new iPhone and a mobile data plan?

0 Kudos
Ctb17
Channel Surfer

I just purchased an iPhone 12 one week ago and am just as confused with this. It has internet capability thru my phone provider . That is how I am communicating . I have NO computer of any sort nor WiFi router or anything of the sort

0 Kudos
Ctb17
Channel Surfer

I have no broadband or anything at my residence. With my phone plan I can go online and shop etc or look up something like I am at the moment speaking and getting your response 

0 Kudos