Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taylorraye

My roku is Stuck on Language setup

I recently did the factory reset on my roku to set up a new account. My roku is now stuck on the language screen and everytime I click any button on the remote, it does not work. I’ve tried switching batteries, holding the reset button on the device, unplugging and plugging it back in. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: My roku is Stuck on Language setup

@Taylorraye

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the information provided by our Support page here: Fix your remote

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kantlc

This is the same issue I have. You can't get off the screen if your remote doesn't work. I used every fix option and my remote will NOT  connect.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Kantlc

Thanks for the post.

Have you checked out the information from the Support page that was in my last post?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rjdays
Channel Surfer

This is the same issue I’m having and it’s been incredibly frustrating finding help. I have a Roku and I’ve bought 3 for family members without any issue, but this summer I bought a Rokfu Express for a friend in Colombia and had it shipped to him. He had this issue with getting past the language screen on setup. He tried new batteries and followed all of the recommendations on the support site without any success. I also had a new Roku LE I had bought (in April?) when it was on clearance at Walmart, so I told him I would bring it when I visited him and try it. But I tried setting up the LE and had the exact same issue. I get stuck on the language screen. The remotes do not work with either device. The batteries are new. I’ve used both the included batteries and newly purchased ones. I can verify the remotes are sending a signal because I can see the IR light up in my cell phone camera in a dark room. I also tried putting the remotes in a box with the Roku to block any possible interference. None of this worked. All the goodwill for Roku I had before is almost gone because it seems I have gotten two defective devices and even if there is another solution, I can’t find an actual person anywhere to help me. So how is it that both IR remotes and/or devices are defective out of the box? Or is there anything I am missing?

0 Kudos
johnbro27
Reel Rookie

I have an almost identical problem--Roku Express (my third Roku so I'm not a newbie). Out of box I got to the enter WiFi password screen and it froze, rebooted and got that far again, changed batteries and power supply (batteries in, tried other brand new batteries, Roku plugged into wall outlet, tried different USB wall wart) and now it won't get past first screen (choose language). 

Should I return to Amazon? Or is there a fix (yes, I read the "troubleshooting your remote" web page and it's none of those).. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@johnbro27, I've seen a lot of reports of this, but I can't say that I've seen a particular solution.  Since you have other Roku devices, have you tried one of the other remotes?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
johnbro27
Reel Rookie

Other remote didn't work, as it's paired to a different (4k) Roku and I can't get far enough with the new device to pair a different remote.

Since Roku official hasn't responded I"ll return this to Amazon.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@johnbro27, this isn't technical support.  It's mostly just users trying to help other users.  If you did get a response from a Roku moderator it would most likely be a link to one of the pages you've already read.

You don't need to get anywhere within the setup to pair a remote.  You press and hold the pairing button until the light starts to flash and then plug in the power to the Roku.

You sound like you'd just rather return it and not try any troubleshooting.  There is no magic bullet for this problem if that's what you came here looking for and the return policy states to return it to the retailer if you didn't purchase it directly from Roku and it's within the first 30 days.

Step by step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos