Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4cjuhane
Reel Rookie

My friend gave me old Roku but I can't link

Jump to solution

My friend gave me his old Roku (he upgraded to an Ultra); I established a free account but was never asked for payment info--am signed in.  Both TV and Roku stick are connected to my network, but I was never asked to enter email.  I did the system reset.  I have tried the instructions for setup multiple times but I never get a PIN or a link (are they the same thing?).  Totally unable to activate--can you help?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: My friend gave me old Roku but I can't link

Jump to solution

You're probably doing a short reset which is just a reboot, when you really want to hold that reset button down for 20-30 seconds to do the "factory reset". 

It will reboot right away, but keep holding the button down and eventually it will know that you mean it.

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@4cjuhane 

In addition to the info provided by @Strega regarding the long press (30+ seconds) of the Reset button on the Streaming Sticks to perform a Factory Reset, you can also navigate to Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset.  You will see/be provided a PIN number on screen to confirm that you want to Factory Reset your device.  (this PIN number is entirely different from other PIN numbers, this is just an action confirmation code).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You're probably doing a short reset which is just a reboot, when you really want to hold that reset button down for 20-30 seconds to do the "factory reset". 

It will reboot right away, but keep holding the button down and eventually it will know that you mean it.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@4cjuhane 

In addition to the info provided by @Strega regarding the long press (30+ seconds) of the Reset button on the Streaming Sticks to perform a Factory Reset, you can also navigate to Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset.  You will see/be provided a PIN number on screen to confirm that you want to Factory Reset your device.  (this PIN number is entirely different from other PIN numbers, this is just an action confirmation code).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

4cjuhane
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, guys, it seems to be working!  I think you are correct; I was too ignorant to know that I was doing it wrong.  This is my first experience with a streaming stick of any kind.  Much appreciated!