Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BuffaloNancy
Level 7

My Samsung TV is a few years old

Jump to solution

My Samsung TV is a few years old and does not allow me to download Roku.  This is my main TV in my living room . I do have a Roku built-in on two other TVs and I do like it. If I purchase a Roku stick will it work on my Samsung TV? And if so can I purchase the $29 sticker does it have to be the $49 stick? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Samsung TV is a few years old

Jump to solution

Yes, you can buy a roku and it will connect to your samsung no problem. The $49.99 stick+ is true stick, it comes with a wifi voice remote that can control your tv power and volume. It doesn't except IR remotes like cheap universal remote. The $29 Roku isn't considered a stick, it doesn't have hdmi connector built-in like a stick does, it has hdmi jack where you would connect a hdmi cable to. The $29 roku comes with IR roku remote, it does not control your tv volume and power. So you would need two remotes. One for roku and second for the tv. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
Strega
Level 15

Jump to solution

The Roku Express works fine with my 10-year old Samsung.  All it needs is a normal HDMI connector into the TV.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Yes, you can buy a roku and it will connect to your samsung no problem. The $49.99 stick+ is true stick, it comes with a wifi voice remote that can control your tv power and volume. It doesn't except IR remotes like cheap universal remote. The $29 Roku isn't considered a stick, it doesn't have hdmi connector built-in like a stick does, it has hdmi jack where you would connect a hdmi cable to. The $29 roku comes with IR roku remote, it does not control your tv volume and power. So you would need two remotes. One for roku and second for the tv. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos