Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bertab27
Level 7

My Roku keeps force closing back to home screen

So my Roku streaming stick keeps force closing back to the home screen. I can’t watch anything bc within minutes it’s going to back to the home screen, I go back just for it to do it again. I checked updates, shut off bandwidth saver, restarted it nothing has helped. I’m am super frustrated. I even looked up this topic and tried to fix it myself and yet nothing has worked. I was going to go buy a new on but scared to waste my money again. At this point it is useless smh. Anybody else ever have this issue or know how to solve it? Please help 

36 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: My Roku keeps force closing back to home screen

@Bertab27 

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering your Roku device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provide cabled and adapter? We would recommend using the latter a some TV USB ports may not be able to supply adequate power to the Roku device.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Swuirrel
Level 8

Is that a real ask?  

0 Kudos
Shug
Level 7

mine keeps doing the same thing and they don't have anywhere to email customer on here

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Shug 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device powered by the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

Is this issue happening on a specific channel or is it happening regardless of the channel you are using?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Phinsfan
Level 7

The issue im sure they are talking about that im also experiencing that from my research has been happening to people for over 3 years now with no real solution posted in any of the communities is we have devices that are force closing back to the home screen while we are in apps. i had to go buy a new roku express a month ago bc my old roku (that was working perfectly for streaming) decided to quit turning on 1 day. I go into ANY app besides netflix and within 1 minute of starting a show it force closes itself back to the homescreen. Need i repeat i have had this express for like a month. So what is the solution to this. yes i am using the supplied power cord and block in a wall outlet. yes i have uninstalled power cycled then reinstalled the apps in that order. yes i have factory reset the roku which did not work. why is there no phone number listed to contact support or an email or even better yet with everything going on right now why havent you made chat support since most people are working from home. this issue is really annoying. i didnt buy a Netflix Express that only can watch netflix i bought a ROKU Express so i can access multiple different streaming apps in 1 place

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Phinsfan 

Thanks for the post.

In regards to the device that you were experiencing an issue with, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Leslie1021Roe
Level 7

Mine keeps doing the same thing!! Mine is plugged into the wall with the Roku adaptor. It is doing it with ALL channels for me. I get about 10 minutes then I get kicked back to the home screen. I have tried turning off the bandwidth, unplugging to re set, re setting through the settings in the menu, and lastly I picked an app... Hulu and deleted it and re I stalled it with no luck.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Leslie1021Roe 

Thanks the post.

Please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Mhginvjj
Level 7

I’m having the same issue for weeks! Even bought a new tv to see if that was the problem 😡😡😡 

model number: 3930X

serial number: X00400CJE2CS

SOFTWARE: 9.4

issue id: CS-504-113

FIX IT!