Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clancaster23
Level 7

Multiple tv's/Rokus

Had a question I can seem to find the answer to anywhere.  I have four tv's in the house that I would be getting players for.  The question is if I would want to buy a channel like Sling or any other channel for that matter, would I have to have a separate account for each tv or would I be able to use that single account on all tv's in the house?  Basically I think their base package is $25.  Could I buy the package and then have it on all tv's or would I have to have four different accounts and pay $100 opposed to $25?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Multiple tv's/Rokus

"clancaster23" wrote:
Had a question I can seem to find the answer to anywhere.  I have four tv's in the house that I would be getting players for.  The question is if I would want to buy a channel like Sling or any other channel for that matter, would I have to have a separate account for each tv or would I be able to use that single account on all tv's in the house?  Basically I think their base package is $25.  Could I buy the package and then have it on all tv's or would I have to have four different accounts and pay $100 opposed to $25?

It depends.

You can use the same Sling account on all 4 devices. However, depending on the plan, you can only stream 1-4 at a time.

The FAQ at Sling TV’s Website covers this: https://help.sling.com/en/support/solut ... same-time-
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

All Roku channels attach to your Roku ACCOUNT, not to a particular Roku UNIT. So all Roku units linked to a given Roku account will have the same collection of Roku channel subscriptions automatically.

You'll have to check the subscription information for each service to see how many simultaneous CONNECTIONS each will support. My Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions, for instance, each say they support two simultaneous connections, while my Acorn subscription says it only supports one. We have three tvs and Rokus in the house, but since we seldom have more than one or two Rokus attempting to connect to a given service at one time, this hasn't been an issue for us. (And, in fact, we've found we can view different Acorn programs on two sets at the sams time even though our Acorn account is supposed to support only one connection.) Many sevices have different tiers of service available if you need more than one or two simultaneous connections, so review your needs before you decide. You may want to subscribe to the minimum tiers first and upgrade later if you find you need more simultaneous connections. Purchasing a higher tier channel subscription would typically be cheaper than setting up separate Roku accounts for different Roku units (by using a different email address for each Roku account) and then needing to duplicate lower tiered subscriptions on each.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
clancaster23
Level 7

The exact answer I was looking for.  Thanks very much.  We still aren't sure if we are going to go cable or Roku just yet but this will definitely help in deciding.
0 Kudos