Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Missing Advanced Wireless Receiver

I am setting up my Roku for the first time and after the initial ROKU screen it moves to the select a language screen. At this point it goes to a error message saying the Advanced Wireless Receiver is not detected. I have the the receiver plugged into the streaming stick and everything is plugged into an outlet. I can't make it past this point. I am 100% sure I have it connected properly. Unless the picture on the installation guide is incorrect.

Please let me know how to correct this problem.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Missing Advanced Wireless Receiver

The Advanced Wireless Receiver is actually the power cable that comes with the Stick+. Are you using it, or using some other USB cable for power? And if you don't have the Stick+, then you don't have the advanced receiver. I wouldn't expect the Roku to even be looking for it, though, it that were the case.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I know that its part of the power cable. I have it in place, its just not working. I assume I will have to return it or get a new one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

OK, just had to confirm you weren't using an alternate cable. Since it's obviously new, there shouldn't be any issue exchanging it. But before you do, make a quick check and make sure there's no dust or anything within the USB port on the Roku or the cable end. Sometimes even a tiny little dust bunny can cause an issue.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I appreciate your willingness to help. But, no dust bunnies either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@semenick 

Thanks for the note. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

If you would like us to replace the AWR for you, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I’m having the same problem.  I am extremely disappointed because I bought this as an upgrade from the Roku express and this junk doesn’t even work!! I should of just bought an Apple TV because Roku is junk!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Clev wrote:

I’m having the same problem.  I am extremely disappointed because I bought this as an upgrade from the Roku express and this junk doesn’t even work!! I should of just bought an Apple TV because Roku is junk!!

There's a huge price difference between an Apple TV and a Roku player. Depending on their use, either one might be a better option than the other. There are many providers available on Roku that are not available on the Apple. There are apps for the Apple that aren't available for Roku at all. It really depends on what your needs are. But based on my personal experience Roku devices are overall pretty good equipment. Every manufacturer can have a dud slip through manufacturing, including Apple. 

Exactly what is your problem, as yours might not be the same as the original poster.

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Missing Advanced Wireless Receiver

When i try to connect, i get the missing advanced receiver message

[personal information removed]

my device s/n is 213019676446 Model 3810x

can you help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Your going to have to return your device and get a new one. If you got it form Amazon its an easy process to exchange. If you got if from somewhere else, they should exchange if for you as well.

From what I understand, exchanging the device is the only cure for your problem.

Sorry.

0 Kudos