Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my remote and did a factory reset now my Roku won't power on

So Iost my remote, and had to do a factory reset and now my ultra won't turn on... But the light flashes

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Lost my remote and did a factory reset now my Roku won't power on

@rebellarhage 

You must use a remote to connect to a network. Depending on your device and the compatible remotes, you can find one at Walmart, Best Buy, Target, and other retailers to get back up and running today.

Or, you can order them online.

Roku Simple Remote ($15) works with all set top boxes, but not with sticks and TVs. IR only. (Will work with your Ultra, despite the Ultra coming with the Voice Remote.)

Roku Voice Remote ($20) works with all Roku devices.

Roku Voice Remote Pro ($30) works with all Roku devices.

Having said that, your whole "won't turn on" thing is the actual concern. You should see the bouncing logo and music when you apply power to the device. Until you get to that point, I'd suggest putting the remote on the back burner.

Describe what happened to the Ultra for you to decide a factory reset was the thing to do.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Lost my remote and did a factory reset now my Roku won't power on

@rebellarhage-

Connecting Roku to your home net.

FIRST METHOD

Normally a remote compatible with your Roku model is used to set up the Roku's net connection. This is by far the simplest and best method.

Your Ultra can use vitually any Roku remote you can find, including universal remotes that say they can control Roku devices, EXCEPT remotes made for Roku TVs which use a different set of commands.  Roku Voice Remotes connect via wifi and must be paired with your Roku unit.  All others are direct line-of-sight infrared remotes that must be pointed at the front of the Roku.

For others with the same problem, report back with your Roku model (and model number if you have it) and we can advise you on which remote you need. Settings/System/About will give you this information.

SECOND METHOD

You will need all of these:

-- A Roku that is still set up for its prior network. If it was no longer connecting to that network when you shut it down, if you have cleared its network settings, or if you have done a factory reset, your only recourse is to use a remote to set the Roku network connection up.

-- Knowledge of the network name (SSID) and password that the Roku is currently configured to use.

-- Access to your current router's control panel. If you don't have this access, scroll down to the third method.

-- A phone or other mobile device with the Roku app (not TheRokuChannel app) installed.

If you have ALL of the above:

Go into your router's control panel and set your new network to use the same network name (SSID) and password as your previous network.

Pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When it boots up it should connect to your reconfigured net.

Now when you connect your phone to this same net you should be able to use the Roku app to control your Roku once again.

THIRD METHOD

This method is more complicated, but if you really need it …

In addition to a Roku still configured for its prior network and knowledge of the prior network's SSID and password as listed for method two, you'll also need:

-- A mobile phone with WiFi hotspot capabilities.

-- A second WiFi-equipped mobile device, either a phone or tablet, with the official Roku (not TheRokuChannel) app installed.

If you have all these things, here's how you do it:

1) Configure the WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone to use the same network name (SSID) and password from your former home network that the Roku is currently configured to use. If your hotspot can use the 5 GHz WiFi band, switch it to the 2.4 GHz band for compatibility with all Roku models.

2) After you turn on this hotspot, pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When the Roku starts up it should connect to the hotspot and through the phone to the internet. You just won't be able to control the Roku yet.

3) Connect your second device (phone or tablet) to the first phone's WiFi hotspot network.

4) Now that this second device and your Roku are both connected to the same WiFi hotspot, you can run the Roku app on the second device to gain control of your Roku using the app's remote control capabilities.

5) Using the app on the second device, set up the new network on the Roku, via Settings > Network > Set up network, using the new network's SSID and password.

6) When the Roku connects to the new network, disconnect the second mobile device from the WiFi hotspot and connect it to the new home network (SSID and password).

7) You can now continue to use the Roku app on the second device to operate your Roku on the new network.

😎 The Roku is no longer connecting to your phone's WiFi hotspot, so you can shut that down. If you wish, you can also use the Roku app on this phone to control your Roku.

If you decide to try this, please report back how it worked.

If you use method two or three I'd still suggest acquiring a compatible remote to make it possible to recover much more easily if your Roku ever drops its network connection and needs to be reconnected.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X