Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Losing My Mind Trying to Connect Roku to Existing Home Theatre

I cannot for the life of me get my Roku audio to feed into my stereo receiver and ultimately come out of our surround sound speakers that were built into our house. I tried using HDMI cable 18 dif ways (namely connecting from Roku into TV and then another one from TV into receiver, which I know works bc I can play radio through it) and tried playing w the "setup" options and audio options on both the roku menu and my flat screen TV. I also tried using Roku Ultru AND the Roku streaming stick (since I have both) and neither would work. I've googled it and watched a few video for how to do this and either it doesn't work or some parts of the Roku menu don't match mine.

If anyone has any idea pls let me know. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Losing My Mind Trying to Connect Roku to Existing Home Theatre

I am joining your club.  I don't bother with going from the Roku to the tv HDMI.  It should work correctly going from the Roku to the stereo receiver and then to the tv.  That is the whole point of a receiver with multiple HDMI inputs.  I have a Denon 2400H and play Amazon DDS and DD+ from my Samsung smart blu ray player with no problem. My Denon plays several formats including Dolby Digital +.  How do I know this, because I play "Vikings" through a separate Samsung blu ray which passes through and displays DD+ when I access my Amazon Prime via that device.  However, when I play the exact same program through Roku Premier, it only transmits in stereo mode.  The settings on my Roku are set to DD+ and also tried it on "auto".  Either way, the same Denon with the next HDMI input over from the Samsung only plays in stereo.  So there seems to be a problem with the Roku.  I have Amazon Prime on both the Roku and the Samsung so I can compare apples to apples.  So far I will keep the Samsung as a primary for Amazon broadcasts to allow my DTS 7.1 system to be fully enabled.  Wish I know how to fix this problem with the Roku Premier.

0 Kudos