Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KK13

Local channels.

How do I get the major tv channels on my Roku. CBS, NBC, ABC... People say I should be able to download them, but I'm not finding how to do that anywhere.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Local channels.

Are you in the US?  If so, I see them in the channel store.: ABC CBS NBC.

These are all probably cable-related apps. 

Apps for specific local channels will vary based on whether your local broadcasters have created them.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Local channels.

@KK13 wrote:

How do I get the major tv channels on my Roku. CBS, NBC, ABC... People say I should be able to download them, but I'm not finding how to do that anywhere.

Let's find out what your expectations are first. If you think that you can just download and app and watch all of the content of those networks for free, you would be incorrect. While some smaller networks -- Comet, for instance -- do offer live streaming of their content for free, most do not. Most require you to authenticate against a service to watch. 

In general, they don't offer a stand-alone service for their content, and certainly not for free. You can get CBS via the Paramount+ app. The $10/month subscription gets you your local CBS affiliate.

ABC, Fox, and NBC don't offer live streams via their own stand-alone apps. Well, some do, if you authenticate against a cable service. They consider the app a companion to a service, not as a replacement.

You can watch the networks via a service that includes local channels, such as Hulu + Live TV ($65/month), Fubo TV ($65/month and up), or YouTube TV ($65/month, no Roku app).

If you have an antenna, you can simply watch your local channels that way. To add the antenna to a Roku, you'll need an Air TV or Tablo TV device (or something along that line).

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
ymomc55
Reel Rookie

Local channels ABC, CBS, NBC

Why do we need to pay for local channels, I already pay for roku for cbs, and the roku channel, which these two channels are the same, its ridiculous, these providers don't make it easy for you.  It's not like we have HBO or some other off the wall network that you have to pay high price for them just to watch your tv shows, 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Local channels ABC, CBS, NBC

@ymomc55 wrote:

... I already pay for roku for cbs, and the roku channel,...

Perhaps you can clarify. In what way are you paying Roku for CBS? And to whom are you paying for access to Roku Channel? Roku Channel is free. Yes, you can get add-on services (Starz, Britbox, etc) but Roku Channel itself is free.

Go to https://my.roku.com and log in. Then go to the Manage your subscriptions page. What subscriptions are you seeing there?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos