Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Link code on tv not working

I'm staying in a hotel and the link code displayed is not working when I type it from my smartphone.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Link code on tv not working

@Yngwie20705 wrote:

I'm staying in a hotel and the link code displayed is not working when I type it from my smartphone.

So, you're trying to set up a brand new Roku player at a hotel? Just want to be sure what code you are referring to. The link code not working is the first sign you are not connected to the legitimate Roku web site. Spammers have figured out how to hijack the attempt to connect via a spoofed DNS page. Make sure you're going to this exact URL: https://my.roku.com/link. If you get a security warning, you've been redirected to a spam site. DON'T use it, and DON'T call any phone number listed on the page. All they want is to convince you to pay a "registration" fee, which Roku does not do. They also try to get you to pay for an "upgraded" account. Again, Roku has no such thing, and they don't charge for registration or support. And there's no limit to the number of devices you can have, so their attempt to say to have reached your limit and need to pay for additional devices is also a scam. 

If you're certain you have the correct URL, you must now confirm the Roku is connected fully to the Internet. Most hotel networks require some sort of authentication for devices to connect to the network and reach the Internet. It's possible your device has generated a link code but isn't fully connected to the Internet so the Roku servers haven't seen it. In this case, I recommend using a phone hotspot to get the Roku cleanly onto the Internet, then try again. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos