Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peiffer16

How to connect my Roku TV or streaming player to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

I lost my Roku remote and I'm trying to use my phone but i cant do anything to connect my Roku to my WiFi. I need help.

8 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote won’t connect + wireless issue

Jump to solution

In order to connect your device to a new wireless network, you will need a physical Roku remote in order to input your new network password. You will need to do this first, before you will be able to connect to your device using the Roku mobile app. If you have lost your remote or need a replacement, you can purchase a replacement in our accessories store here.

Supported Roku device models are listed next to each remote. You can check Settings>System>About to verify your Roku device model number. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Remote

Jump to solution

You cannot set up wifi or any setting without the remote.

take the batterys out of the remote.

Use a paper clip to poke in the reset hole somewhere on the back of the Premiere

and hold the button inside down a good 30 seconds.

Let the Roku reset

Put the batterys back in the remote and it should pair now.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.

Kombat

Re: Cannot connect to Roku to Wifi without remote

Jump to solution

It can be done if you know the wifi settings saved on the Roku. You'll need two mobile devices. On one, setup a mobile hotspot with the same SSID and password that's saved on the Roku. When the Roku comes on it should connect to the hotspot. Then connect  the second device connect to the hotspot. Voila. Roku and device are on the same wifi network. Now you can use the Roku app as a remote.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to connect Roku device to the internet without remote

Jump to solution

The Roku app on a phone can only be used with Rokus that are already connected to your home network, so you have to use a method other than the Roku app when you need to set up a net connection.

FIRST METHOD

Normally a remote compatible with your Roku model is used to set up the Roku's net connection. This is by far the simplest method.

Report back with your Roku model (and model number if you have it) and we can advise you on which remote you need.

SECOND METHOD

You will need all of these:

-- A Roku that is still set up for its prior network. If it was no longer connecting to that network when you shut it down, if you have cleared its network settings, or if you have done a factory reset, your only recourse is to use a remote to set the Roku network connection up.

-- Knowledge of the network name (SSID) and password that the Roku is currently configured to use.

-- Access to your current router's configuration panel. If you don't have this access, scroll down to the third method.

-- A phone or other mobile device with the Roku app (not TheRokuChannel app) installed.

If you have ALL of the above:

Go into your router's configuration panel and set your network to use the same network name (SSID) and password as your previous network.

Pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When it boots up it should connect to your reconfigured net.

Now when you connect your phone to this same net you should be able to use the Roku app to control your Roku once again.

THIRD METHOD

This method is more complicated, but if you really need it …

In addition to a Roku still configured for its prior network and knowledge of the prior network's SSID and password as listed for method two, you'll also need:

-- A mobile phone with WiFi hotspot capabilities.

-- A second WiFi-equipped mobile device, either a phone or tablet, with the official Roku (not TheRokuChannel) app installed.

If you have all these things, here's how you do it:

1) Configure the WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone to use the same network name (SSID) and password from your former home network that the Roku is currently configured to use. If your hotspot can use the 5 GHz WiFi band, switch it to the 2.4 GHz band for compatibility with all Roku models.

2) After you turn on this hotspot, pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When the Roku starts up it should connect to the hotspot and through the phone to the internet. You just won't be able to control the Roku yet.

3) Connect your second device (phone or tablet) to the first phone's WiFi hotspot network.

4) Now that this second device and your Roku are both connected to the same WiFi hotspot, you can run the Roku app on the second device to gain control of your Roku using the app's remote control capabilities.

5) Using the app on the second device, set up the new network on the Roku, via Settings > Network > Set up network, using the new network's SSID and password.

6) When the Roku connects to the new network, disconnect the second mobile device from the WiFi hotspot and connect it to the new home network (SSID and password).

7) You can now continue to use the Roku app on the second device to operate your Roku on the new network.

😎 The Roku is no longer connecting to your phone's WiFi hotspot, so you can shut that down. If you wish, you can also use the Roku app on this phone to control your Roku.

If you decide to try this, please report back how it worked.

If you use method two or three I'd still suggest acquiring a compatible remote to make it possible to recover much more easily if your Roku ever drops its network connection and needs to be reconnected.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

renojim

Re: Connecting Roku without Remote

Jump to solution

You need a physical remote in order to input new network details. 

For models that use IR remotes, you can get a cheap universal remote that states it supports Roku on the package, or buy one from Roku. https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player  Sometimes they can be found in the dollar store, but you can certainly find one in any big box store. For Streaming Sticks, you'll need to get a replacement wireless remote. https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/streaming-stick

Bear in mind that your 2450 model is very old and isn't supported anymore with updates, so you're probably better off just getting a new Roku.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

renojim

Re: Connecting to a new network without a remote possibilities?is it ?

Jump to solution

The easiest thing to do by far is to get a new remote.  A cheap universal remote will do (if it supports Roku).  Barring that, the only way to get it to connect is to set up your new Wi-Fi exactly the same as your old Wi-Fi and hope it connects.

Otherwise, you must use a physical remote to input new network details in order to get connected. 

[content edited]

Tivoburkee

Re: Remote is lost

Jump to solution

Sorry but yes. This a Roku tv, actual tv with a screen? Cheapest would be to go to ebay, roku brands like tcl, insignia, jvc, magnavox, westinghouse, philips, sanyo, and onn all use the same IR tv code. Stay away from Hisense & Sharp. 

Fastest would be to go to walmart, they have a true roku voice remote sold separately, it would need to be paired with roku tv first. They also sell the One-For-All streamer universal remote urc-7935, works great with Roku tv and is on sale at $16.88. The voice remote at walmart is $19.88.P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Here it is next to Roku tv wifi remote.

Edmund

makaiguy

Re: Setup Roku no remote

Jump to solution

The Roku app on a phone or tablet can only connect to a Roku that is already set up and connected to the same network the phone or tablet is on.  That means the Roku app on your phone or tablet can't be used to connect and do anything with a Roku not yet set up on your current network.

If the Roku was originally connected to a net and if it has not had a factory reset since then, it is still trying to connect to the old network name (SSID) and password as was used previously. If you can reset your current router to use this SSID and password, then your Roku should connect. At that point, the Roku app on a mobile device connected to that same net should be able to find and control your Roku.

Otherwise, you'll need to have a remote compatible with your Roku model to set up your connection to the new network/password.

All units other than Roku sticks will respond to a shared set of infrared (IR) commands so any cheap universal remote you find at Walmart or a dollar store that says it is compatible with Roku will work as long has you have a direct line of sight to the Roku. Or you can buy one from Roku via https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player#Remotes

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

179 REPLIES 179
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

What Roku model device are you trying to connect to the mobile app?

For more information on how to connect a Roku device to the Roku mobile app, visit our Support page here: How do I install the Roku® mobile app?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Vinny2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Danny, I believe the customer is trying to connect their roku to the wifi. But has no remote to do so. I have the same issue and would like to know if there is a solution. Do I need to buy a new remote or is there another way?
Tnjensen10
Reel Rookie

Remote won’t connect + wireless issue

Jump to solution

My remote had stopped working (holding the button, i don’t even get a flashing light- I’ve tried 6 batteries). Watched/read several troubleshooting guides, and it suggested resetting my Roku. I did that but then was unable to go through the set up without a remote. Tried to download the app, but since my roku is no longer connected to my network, nothing will work.

[post merged with already existing thread]

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Vinny2 @Tnjensen10 

Thanks for the inquiry.

What device model are you trying to connect to your wireless network?

Keep me posted, and I will assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Vinny2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a roku premiere, model 4620 i believe. The model from 2016 or 2017.

0 Kudos
Tnjensen10
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Hi Danny- thanks for your help. I’m trying to connect the 3600X
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

If the 3600 stick remote is missing or doesn't work, and stick has been reset so it doesn't have wifi credentials, you're out of luck, sorry. You just going to have to get a new wifi remote, pair it to the 3600 stick, and then put in your internet network name and password. Then you could control with cell phone app.

Edmund

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

In order to connect your device to a new wireless network, you will need a physical Roku remote in order to input your new network password. You will need to do this first, before you will be able to connect to your device using the Roku mobile app. If you have lost your remote or need a replacement, you can purchase a replacement in our accessories store here.

Supported Roku device models are listed next to each remote. You can check Settings>System>About to verify your Roku device model number. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Maynard7
Reel Rookie

Left town without remote; how to set up 3800 stick without remote

Jump to solution

To save space in my suitcase I did not bring the remote control for my Roku stick 3800 with me. I was planning to use the mobile app on my cell phone, which works fine at home. Now I find out that I cannot access anything without this remote control. Is there some way for me to use the Roku while I am away from home?

0 Kudos