Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_patrick_
Level 7

Issue with Roku 1

New here, first post. This may be a question already answered somewhere else that I did not find in my quick search. If so please just direct me there. 

So, I have a Roku 1. No HDMI just AV hook up on the TV. A week ago I was having an issue loading a channel so I decided to reboot the Roku by unplugging and waiting 5 seconds and then plugging the power cable back in. However, the Roku did not turn back on. I tried again, adjusting everything, assuming some user error, but again nothing. I then went online to see if I could find an explanation and found that most answers for the search "Roku won't turn on" assume I don't know how a television works. I have now bought a new power cable, thinking that might have been the cause, but when I tried that today I again had no success, and have ended up here. Does anyone here have any light they could shine on my issue?

Thanks- Patrick 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Issue with Roku 1

"[patrick wrote:
":3s77v01k]New here, first post. This may be a question already answered somewhere else that I did not find in my quick search. If so please just direct me there. 

So, I have a Roku 1. No HDMI just AV hook up on the TV. A week ago I was having an issue loading a channel so I decided to reboot the Roku by unplugging and waiting 5 seconds and then plugging the power cable back in. However, the Roku did not turn back on. I tried again, adjusting everything, assuming some user error, but again nothing. I then went online to see if I could find an explanation and found that most answers for the search "Roku won't turn on" assume I don't know how a television works. I have now bought a new power cable, thinking that might have been the cause, but when I tried that today I again had no success, and have ended up here. Does anyone here have any light they could shine on my issue?

Thanks- Patrick 

Roku 1 is model 2710. It’s an older device, but one of the few that supported composite output.

Your method of restarting the device was a valid one.

Did you put a meter on the power plug to check the output? The power supply itself should indicate the power output expected.

If power is there and good, there’s something gone wrong inside the Roku 1. If that’s the case, best replacement option is the Roku Express+ model 3910 (not the Express model 3900). Walmart carries them. $35
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
_patrick_
Level 7

Re: Issue with Roku 1

Thank you so much for your reply, and for responding so quickly. I am going to be returning the new power chord I purchased and will be looking into the Roku Express+ 3910 you mentioned. 

I am assuming you are right that something is happened to the Roku itself. 

Thanks again.
0 Kudos