Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
classic
Level 7

Is it possible to split the Roku signal between two devices?

Hi all,
I have a Roku 3 and here is what I am trying to do: I want to use my TV's sound for watching non-surround encoded TV shows like Classic TV and such and my A/V Receiver's sound for movies with surround sound and such. My A/V receiver does not has the ability to Pass Through HDMI. First I tried using a Switch running the HDMI from the Roku to the input on the Switch then running one HDMI cable from the Switch to the TV and another HDMI cable from the Switch to the Receiver and of course one from the receiver to the TV on a different port. (The TV has 4 HDMI ports). I blew through 2 Monoprice Switches in a week. Apparently there is something about the Roku that the Switch does not like because it would work for a minute and then fail unable to find the signal from the Roku or anything. I was told by Monoprice that the Switches may be defective, but I don't want to keep ordering Switches and it could be that they can not handle the Roku as well.
My next thought was to try a Splitter, but Monoprice says that it will not work and I will not get Surround sound either. (I don't see why it would not, but I don't want to waste another $40).
Is there a way to watch some stuff with the Ruko 3 using the sound of my TV and some stuff using the sound of my AV Receiver without having to turn on my entire HT system to watch non-encoded stuff? I want to be able to just turn on the TV for the stuff like classic TV shows and then separately turn on the AV Receiver for Movies that are encoded with Surround and such when needed.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
wzwor
Level 7

Re: Is it possible to split the Roku signal between two devi

http://bensoutlet.com/products/roku-2-xs-streaming

The R2XS has composite and hdmi outputs. You can run the composite audio to the A/V Receiver's sound while the hdmi goes direct to TV. That's what I do. As a bonus, you do not have to run the TV to listen to Spotify or Pandora.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
classic
Level 7

"wzwor" wrote:

The R2XS has composite and hdmi outputs. You can run the composite audio to the A/V Receiver's sound while the hdmi goes direct to TV. That's what I do. As a bonus, you do not have to run the TV to listen to Spotify or Pandora.

I don't have a Roku 2XS. I have a Roku 3, it does not have composite audio jacks. I thought I stated that? I should have put it in the thread topic. I'm about getting ready to throw the Roku 3 out since I can't get it to work the way I need it to. I've been asking everyone this question for 4 weeks and nobody seems to know the answer.
0 Kudos
wzwor
Level 7

"classic" wrote:
"wzwor" wrote:

I don't have a Roku 2XS. I have a Roku 3, it does not have composite audio jacks. I thought I stated that? I should have put it in the thread topic. I'm about getting ready to throw the Roku 3 out since I can't get it to work the way I need it to. I've been asking everyone this question for 4 weeks and nobody seems to know the answer.

That's a problem -- or maybe an opportunity. As you calculate the cost of cobbling together a solution, consider simply buying an additional Roku and re-purposing or selling the R3. Yesterday, you could have had an LT shipped from Amazon for $39. How long have you had the R3? Maybe Roku will help you out?
0 Kudos
RickRansom
Level 7

Hi Classic. Can you please post the make and model of your A/V receiver and TV? I know A/V receivers are supposed to pass the HDMI signal to an HDMI outout on the A/V receiver itself. Unless you have a BD-HTS [Bluray player with speakers bundled] that's the only way I see it. Hope I'm wrong. If we know what components you have in your setup, we will be able to provide you more constructive suggestions. Cheers.
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games
0 Kudos
wzwor
Level 7

"RickRansom" wrote:
more constructive suggestions

can't wait!
0 Kudos
classic
Level 7

"wzwor" wrote:
"classic" wrote:
"wzwor" wrote:

That's a problem -- or maybe an opportunity. As you calculate the cost of cobbling together a solution, consider simply buying an additional Roku and re-purposing or selling the R3. Yesterday, you could have had an LT shipped from Amazon for $39. How long have you had the R3? Maybe Roku will help you out?

I've had the Roku 3 for a little over a month. I was assuming that with today's technology I would be able to do this simple task. I guess I assumed far too much. I'd love to cobble together a solution, but there doesn't seem to be one. It appears I'm a few years too early. I have talked to Roku and they will not discuss or recommend anything outside of direct hook up.
0 Kudos
classic
Level 7

"RickRansom" wrote:
Hi Classic. Can you please post the make and model of your A/V receiver and TV? I know A/V receivers are supposed to pass the HDMI signal to an HDMI outout on the A/V receiver itself. Unless you have a BD-HTS [Bluray player with speakers bundled] that's the only way I see it. Hope I'm wrong. If we know what components you have in your setup, we will be able to provide you more constructive suggestions. Cheers.

Here's what I've got:
Roku 3
Samsung Series 5 model 530 TV
Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR
I have read the manual on the receiver several times and gone the the set up menus on the unit itself trying everything. I thought they were calling "pass-thru" function by a different name because I did not see anything referring directly to that. Turns out that it does not do it. If I do their version I get no picture, but I do get sound as I recall.
0 Kudos
RickRansom
Level 7

Condensed from your original post:
- HDMI from the Roku to the input on the Switch
- running one HDMI cable from the Switch to the TV
- another HDMI cable from the Switch to the Receiver
- one from the receiver to the TV on a different port

Have you tried connecting the Roku player directly to your Onkyo, then from the Onkyo to the Samsung?
Roku HDMI OUT <HDMI cable> HDMI IN Onkyo HDMI OUT <HDMI cable> HDMI IN Samsung

That's how I and most people have their system configured [if the receiver has an HDMI input]. Are you using the HDMI switche because the Onkyo only has 3 assignable inputs?

EDIT: My apologies. I forgot to read the part where you explicitly stated that you didn't want to turn on the Onkyo for the regular non-encoded stuff. Looks like you need an HDMI splitter instead of an HDMI switch. Are these the ones you purchased from Monoprice?
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games
0 Kudos
wzwor
Level 7

I have been searching outside these forums for people who have successfully mitigated this problem, and the only solution i have found is this...

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Au ... _res_rtr_4

I bought this to extract 5.1 audio from a ROKU device because the INSIGNIA TV I connected the ROKU to would not process anything other than 2 channel stereo. This device worked exactly as described. It is well built and small.

I used this devise to connect my Roku 3 to my older plasma TV. The TV has a DVI input and separate audio, but the Roku 3 has only a HDMI output. While it is easy to find an HDMI to DVI connector, DVI does not carry audio so the TV received good picture but no sound. This devise connects to the Roku 3 through a short HDMI cable, and outputs HDMI and separate RCA audio to the TV. The HDMI to the TV obviously uses an HDMI/DVI conversion cable. This setup works great; HDTV and great sound. The tiny thing is solid and weighty but only about the size of a cigarette pack Highly recommended!

A great little box to extract the 5.1 surround from a Roku to a surround sound receiver. Have the HDMI out of the Roku going to this first, then out of this up to the TV. Toslink audio out of this up to our receiver. Works like a charm for watching Amazon Prime movies in HD with 5.1 surround!

I used this to split the HDMI output from my Roku 3 (that doesn't have a separate audio out). Works like a charm. Optical cable from the box to the soundbar while the video continues in the HDMI cable to the TV.

Perfect if you don't have the big A/V receiver to split the audio and the video.

So if you're getting a media streamer like the Roku or Apple TV or anything nice and slim that only has HDMI out and a soundbar as audio system. This is the gadget for the job!

As technology improves in one area, it leaves others behind. Like many folks, I have an excellent AVR (Harman-Kardon) that has been working flawlessly for several years. One thing it doesn't do is HDMI. So as HD-outputting devices improve, they start to cut costs by eliminating features that are not "needed." For example, the last two iterations of Roku abandoned the digital audio output. So in order to use my 5.1 sound system, I had to receive stereo from the Roku box and let the AVR simulate 5.1. Not good. This product solves the problem effortlessly, extracting the digital audio from the hdmi signal. Brilliant!

I needed to split a stereo audio output from my Roku 3's HDMI only connector. Unlike my earlier Roku XD, which provided stereo audio jacks, the Roku 3 does not. This device not only works exactly as advertised, but the audio quality is actually improved. Highly recommended.

Like many here, I have an older receiver, so when I upgraded to a Roku 3 (which ditched us old timers as it dumped the Toslink output) I needed something to extract the digital audio from HDMI. This converter does what is says, and does it relatively inexpensively. The problem is that much of the content on Netflix, which is my primary usage on the Roku 3, is Dolby 5.1 Plus, which doesn't work. Less advanced users may not notice this as the default setting on the Roku Netflix channel is standard 2-channel stereo. Once you go into the Audio options (try Day of the Falcon, for example), and switch to Dolby 5.1 Plus, you will get no sound output, which defeats the purpose of this device. On the plus side, Amazon's 5.1 HD movies work just fine on the Roku, because they aren't of the 'Plus' variety.

To be fair to the manufacturer, they do not claim higher level compatibility but still, I wonder how many Roku 3 users have noticed this. Most titles on Netflix don't yet support Dolby 5.1 Plus and use stereo for audio only, so it's easy to miss this. This review by the way, is of the VHD-H2HSA and not the VHD-H2HSAs which is what's listed now and shipping as of 4/24 (darn it, I missed it by a week!) The newer model seems to have a switch for the audio EDID selection. I opened up my older model hoping that there might be a hidden switch inside but no luck. It does look like they improved on the older model with a new circuit board though I doubt the issue of 5.1+ conversion (mentioned above) is addressed.

Caveat emptor, folks. Buy with caution. I thought I could hold of purchasing a new receiver for a couple of years, but maybe not.
0 Kudos