Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reidthaler
Level 7

Is Power Source Needed for plugging in Roku stick into AVR?

Just set up Roku yesterday, plugging into TV, will move it to AVR to play through receiver.  It looks like I have to power the stick with a micro usb connection.  Is this true or does it get power from the HDMI port?  I check the back of the receiver, Onkyo Tx,-sr313   and it doesn't have a USB port.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Reid    

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Strega
Level 14

Re: Is Power Source Needed for plugging in Roku stick into AVR?

It needs power.  If it didn't come with one, there are little AC to USB bricks that you can buy.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Is Power Source Needed for plugging in Roku stick into AVR?

@Strega wrote:

It needs power.  If it didn't come with one, there are little AC to USB bricks that you can buy.

You may have one available from an old phone or other device.  Just be sure the fine print on it says it outputs 5 vdc at a minimum of 1 amp.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
reidthaler
Level 7

Connected to AVR, but now not paired and hangs when trying to pair

Thanks.  I have a brick that came with the stick.  Now having another issue:

Won't pair when connected to AVR.  Remote doesn't work, then hangs when pairing,  I reconnected to TV and it pairs.  Reconnect to AVM and it hangs.  Tried to re-set with button on stick and stick hangs in pairing mode.

Is there supposed to be a light under the power button or is that the mic?  Got as a Amazon refurb, and yes I reset yesterday when pairing. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Re: Connected to AVR, but now not paired and hangs when trying to pair

Power button?  On the Stick?  On the remote?  Neither should have a power button.  The stick is always on.

Is the stick buried behind the AVR?  What if you hold the remote right next to it?  You may want the short HDMI extension cable you can get from Roku or just buy online (much quicker) to get it away from any interference the AVR might be producing.

https://my.roku.com/hdmi

0 Kudos
reidthaler
Level 7

Re: Connected to AVR, but now not paired and hangs when trying to pair

Thanks, but I thought of that as well.  I pulled the AVR from the cabinet so the stick was 2 inches away from the remote. It simple doesn't show any connection to the remote when it's plugged into the AVR.

0 Kudos