Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BulldogX
Level 8

Is It Okay to Use My Own HDMI cable?

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Ultra 4800R (2020) and I'm really happy with it.

I wonder if it's okay to substitute my own HDMI cable for the one that came with my Roku. I'm only asking because all my home theater cables are black, and it would be easier to distinguish among them if they were different colors. Also, the in-box HDMI cable is 5 feet long, which is 2 feet longer than I really need, and less spaghetti behind the TV is better.

If it's okay to supply my own cable, what are the important technical specifications that my replacement HDMI cable needs to have?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BulldogX
Level 8

Re: Is It Okay to Use My Own HDMI cable?

Jump to solution

I discovered that the only technical requirement is that if you plan on watching content in 4K or HDR, you'll need an HDMI cable that supports HDCP 2.2.

Aside from that, any high-quality HDMI cable will work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

None of my Rokus (and I have a ton) have ever come with an HDMI cable, so I've always used my own and whenever possible I get them at the dollar store.  Unless you have a 4k TV and are watching 4k content pretty much any cable should work.  Try your own cable and if you have problems you can always go back to the one supplied.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BulldogX
Level 8

Jump to solution

I discovered that the only technical requirement is that if you plan on watching content in 4K or HDR, you'll need an HDMI cable that supports HDCP 2.2.

Aside from that, any high-quality HDMI cable will work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos