Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CKB
Level 7

Internet Service?

Which internet service works best with ROKU?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
knuckle
Level 7

Re: Internet Service?

Are you talking speed plans or providers? Speed wise I recommend at least 10Mbps down as for providers YMMV but most all providers work well tho you may have to tweak your network a bit
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 9

Any broadband service over 5Mbps should be fine. Satellite won't work as well due to latency issues. Dialup may have the same problems, as well as any other slower speed.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Unless you're getting 4K material (Roku 4 or one of the new models coming). Then I would suggest at minimum 25 Mbps. Netlfix tops out around 16 Mbps for 4K, and I think Amazon is about the same. However, I've seen over 40 Mbps streaming 4K from YouTube, according to their on screen display. Since I have 50 Mbps, I don't know if that was the highest they go, or if I was being capped by my connection speed. 

in any event, YouTube can exceed 20 Mbps even with 1080 material, so more speed is always better  Smiley LOL
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ashleyrosa
Level 7

Hi there
If you want to get the best experience of streaming entertainment to your TV using ROKU and desire to access to thousands of movie and shows, then you must go for my cable internet. It provides the fastest and reliable internet with unlimited downloading and uploading at affordable prices. Speed starts from 100 Mbps without any data checkpoints that means that no limitations on data usage. For more details please visit: <link removed by mod>
Wishes
0 Kudos
xackley
Level 7

I have 3.5Mbs cable internet and 98% of all channels work without buffering.
Netflix I know displays at 1080p and loads fast. Same with Amazon, roku, pluto, tubi, etc.
At my router I limit the roku to 3.2Mbs just to make sure Internet browsing and youtube still work fine on 2 or three computers.
If you want to stream high quality to 3 or 4 tvs then you need more.
The only reason to have more is if you torrent and want it fast, and for those horrible Windows 10 updates.
If you have a choice in bandwidth, start small, especially if you can upgrade with a phone call.

Don
0 Kudos