Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deke40
Level 9

Install Roku Stick on Roku TV

Has anybody ever tried to use a Roku Stick on a Roku TV?  My small kitchen Roku TV was dropping out a lot on PSVue and I installed one of my Roku Stick+s on it using one of the HDMI ports.  Picture looks better and the sound works a lot better,  The only problem is when I turn it on the it goes to a home screen and with all my apps with the Roku screen showing up as a thumbnail like all the other apps.  I can navigate the little thumbnail but on the 2" square thumbnail only.  If I use the original remote it will bring up a home screen with the HDMI input to the Roku and I can switch to it and then it will work.

Is there any way I can get it to do this with the Roku Stick remote without having to use two remotes?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
blade_005
Level 10

Re: Install Roku Stick on Roku TV

"deke40" wrote:
Has anybody ever tried to use a Roku Stick on a Roku TV?  My small kitchen Roku TV was dropping out a lot on PSVue and I installed one of my Roku Stick+s on it using one of the HDMI ports.  Picture looks better and the sound works a lot better,  The only problem is when I turn it on the it goes to a home screen and with all my apps with the Roku screen showing up as a thumbnail like all the other apps.  I can navigate the little thumbnail but on the 2" square thumbnail only.  If I use the original remote it will bring up a home screen with the HDMI input to the Roku and I can switch to it and then it will work.

Is there any way I can get it to do this with the Roku Stick remote without having to use two remotes?

I think what you want is for the TV to power up and not start on the HOME SCREEN of the Roku OS of the TV, but on the HDMI Input that you have the Roku Stick+ installed on. If that is what you want at power up you can set the default input that the Roku TV starts on in the menu system of the Roku OS of the TV by going to SETTINGS --> SYSTEM --> POWER --> POWER ON and instead of ALWAYS POWER ON to HOME SCREEN you can select the HDMI INPUT that the Roku Stick+ is installed on. Then, when you power ON the Roku TV it will start up on the HDMI port of the Roku Stick+ and you should be able to use its remote for navigation. 
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
deke40
Level 9

blade-You just made this old man a happy camper.  I had looked through what I thought was everything on the Roku TV but you provided the answer. 
Bless you and your entire family as I am a worrier and I would have had little sleep with this on my mind.

Thanks again from Deke from Texas.

PS-Is there a setting somewhere here that will give me email notifications of post on topics I subscribe to?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"deke40" wrote:
blade-You just made this old man a happy camper.  I had looked through what I thought was everything on the Roku TV but you provided the answer. 
Bless you and your entire family as I am a worrier and I would have had little sleep with this on my mind.

Thanks again from Deke from Texas.

PS-Is there a setting somewhere here that will give me email notifications of post on topics I subscribe to?

To the right of the "Post Reply" button, you will see a Cog Icon.  Click that, and it will allow you to subscribe to the topic.  You should receive reply notifications in your email's inbox.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
deke40
Level 9

Thanks Shawn for the tip.
0 Kudos