Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CloneStranger
Channel Surfer

Re: Initial setup won’t accept password

This is not helpful. I'm having the same issue and there's nothing wrong with my network. I have a bunch of other wireless devices working properly including another roku. The password is correct, the SSID is correct and yet it will no setup the initial network.

Even when I found a neighbor's open network and it did manage to connect to it, all it did was to try and go get a firmware update and then failed at that. All the WiFi connections have great signal strength, except for the neighbor's which only had three tick marks out of five.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @CloneStranger

We're here to help!

Could you tell us more about the issue you are experiencing? Do you receive an error code or message whenever you're trying to connect to your wifi? Who is your internet service provider? Please let us know as well your device model number which can be found in Settings > System > About for further assistance. 

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
CloneStranger
Channel Surfer

Hi Kariza,

I have a Roku Streaming Stick 4K, HD|4K|HDR. My ISP is COX Communications.

This happens during the initial setup when the only option is to set up wifi. There does not appear to be any mechanism for me to get to "Settings > System > About".

When I try to connect to my home WiFi, and after selecting my SSDID and setting password, I get a notice on the TV screen saying "Unable to connect to wireless network". There's some more text with suggested next steps and the numbers: 014.40.

When I try to connect using some neighbor's open network SSID, it manages to connect to the WiFi, but then fails during software update with: Error 003.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@CloneStranger

Thanks for the reply.

Could you try changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n? Customers have stated that this helped resolve their wifi issue.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
CloneStranger
Channel Surfer

My router's 2.4 GHz band has always been set to 802.11 b/g/n mixed, so no need to change. I have the 5 GHz band on a different SSID and that supports a and n, but the setup fails in the same way with either SSID.

My other Roku, located one floor above and slightly farther away, which looks like the same model (not sure), works fine with the same router.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@CloneStranger

Appreciate the prompt response.

Please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be found at the back of the stick itself. Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
CloneStranger
Channel Surfer

Streaming Stick 4K

Model: 3820X

SN: SO8Y41D47RvR

The problem seems to be with the password entry screen. I have a long 16 character password with upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special symbols. I was able to confirm this by creating an open guest network which allowed me to finally get the firmware update and configure the Roku.

The problem now is that an open network is not an acceptable solution. So now I'm stuck again: as soon as I set a password, I can no longer connect to the Wifi.

By the way, did I already mention that my other Roku (model 3810X, about a year or two old) is able to connect with no problems on the same network with the same credentials?

With the new Roku I can't connect to either my router or my access point. I've tried WPA, WPA2-Personal, and WPA3-Personal.

Also, since my previous message, my wife returned the product (since it didn't work) and got another one, so this is a different unit, but it fails in exactly the same way.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@CloneStranger
Thanks for the post.

Have you tried changing the password of your wireless network and then seeing if you are able to connect with that new password on your Roku device?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
CloneStranger
Channel Surfer

I got it to work by setting up a guest network with a different password. Guest network with old password still did not work.

So, as far as I'm concerned, this is a password entry screen problem. It seems that some character glyph in the entry screen does not match with the proper character code for that glyph.

Maybe you can have an intern validate your password entry screen?

0 Kudos
Tracy-PI

Change password worked

0 Kudos