Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBuff

Initial setup won’t accept password

We are trying to setup a new Roku Express. It will not accept our wifi password. We have tried unplugging the roku and unplugging the router. Any ideas? 

20 REPLIES 20
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Initial setup won’t accept password

@JBuff 

Thanks for the post.

Have you verified that you are inputting the correct wifi password? Have you tried changing the wifi password to see if you are still experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kegs1973

I am having the same issue and I have verified my password. I have tried it a dozen times.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Kegs1973 

Thanks for the update.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please reach out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ceee
Channel Surfer

Same here. I'm 100% sure that the password is correct; I'm able to connect and use several other devices using the same password with no problem.

I even went into the "wireless secret screen" and found that the signal strength is 0 dbm which is as high as it can be.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Ceee, are you getting an error code?  What exactly is happening when you try to connect?  What's the model number written on the device?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Ceee
Channel Surfer

When I try to connect, I get a spinning wheel next to wireless network, then an error message saying "unable to connect to wireless network" with some boilerplate instructions which don't work and error code 014.40.

The error code is apparently for an incorrect network password but there's no doubt that the password is correct.

Also, the password has no special characters in it either.

Ceee
Channel Surfer

Oh, and the model number is 3930X.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Ceee 

The normal troubleshooting for 14.40 is to figure out if it is related to a 2.4ghz network setting (router) or if it password related.

To determine if password related, try creating an "open" network on the 2.4 ghz band.  Login to your router and disable the password for your SSID (network name).  If you successfully connect, then verify you are using WPA-PSK with AES Wireless Security settings.  You may have to change your password to a simple one (a couple of letters) until you connect.  Then try changing it to your old password and see if it can again connect.  Essentially, you need to get it to connect, and not keep fighting it by using the same password (even though correct), because something is not allowing it to authenticate properly.

To determine if it is network setting related, set the 2.4 ghz "Wireless Settings" back to recommended default settings.  These should include Radio=on, SSID=broadcasting/on, Mode/Protocol=b/g/n, Bandwidth or Channel Width=20mhz, and Wireless Channel= 1, 6, or 11.

Sometimes, merely changing the Wireless Channel will be enough, but all these settings should be returned to default and then adjustments made up until point of disconnection. (That will then alert you to what particular setting is causing the issue.)  

Restart both your Router and your Roku after making the above changes to the 2.4 ghz settings.

If you can connect to a mobile hotspot (if available) on the 2.4ghz band, normally rules out faulty Roku device.

You can also try performing a Network Connection Reset from within Roku that will attempt to establish a new connection to your router.  Settings..System..Advanced System Settings..Network Connection Reset..Reset Network Connection.

Regarding your secret screen report, not sure if you are reading the numbers correctly as the noise level should be showing -120 to produce a signal level of 0 (RSSI).   If the Strength indicator (SNR) is showing 0, then that is showing no connection.  If the former, then you do indeed have an ideal wireless network.

Feel free to post back with an update or if need more help.  Include your router model number and ISP (internet provider) as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Ceee
Channel Surfer

I've been fooling with this for so long that I wasn't interested in figuring out which one was the problem so I just went ahead and changed both the wireless network name and password and...it worked!

Thanks so much for your help!