Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChillinFry
Level 7

I want to give one to a friend.

Jump to solution

Im wondering of I gift one Roku to a friend will she be able to use it? Being it has all my info...email, password, pin #?  Both my Rokus have the same info as if they were one...if info is changed on one will it affect the other?  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MoviesProbably
Level 10

Re: I want to give one to a friend.

Jump to solution

Yes, you can. On the front page menu, go into Settings then select System then select Advanced System Settings. The first option on the submenu should be Factory Reset. Selecting Factory Reset will erase all of your information and unlink the device from your Roku account. After it reboots, it should perform like new. Resetting and delinking one device from your account will have no affect on your other device.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9\
MoviesProbably
Level 10

Jump to solution

Yes, you can. On the front page menu, go into Settings then select System then select Advanced System Settings. The first option on the submenu should be Factory Reset. Selecting Factory Reset will erase all of your information and unlink the device from your Roku account. After it reboots, it should perform like new. Resetting and delinking one device from your account will have no affect on your other device.

ChillinFry
Level 7

Jump to solution

I dont see my reply, so Im sending it again. Thank you very much 😁❗I sure appreciate your help and responding as quick as you did. You have put my mind at ease and my friend will be very happy 😊👍👏...

Iona-D
Level 14

Jump to solution

I had a similar situation with a friend as well.  Although there are some big differences.  I chose to share my own account with him.

Before I sent the Stick Plus off to him, I activated it with my own account.  I wanted to share my paid & and free apps with him remotely.  If he had an issue with it, I take care of it. 

It's been a year now.  Through.this past year,. We went through the Lockdown, riots, and strange illness that kept.us apart.  He still had the little Roku I gave him.  It is like we are together when we had to be apart.  

If we do go our separate ways, I can very easily unlink the device remotely as well and he's on his own!

0 Kudos
SheilaKay
Level 8

Jump to solution

I don't see what you mean by "front page menu".  Help please?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The "front page menu" is the menu down the left side of the Home Screen.  Press the Home button on your remote a few times and you'll see it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
SheilaKay
Level 8

Jump to solution

Okay, so this was helpful but I need a little more specific help.  I have a Roku device from my old TV which quit working (the TV quit, the Roku was fine).  I also have a new Roku TV.   If I do what's suggested here I'll be factory resetting my new current Roku TV settings.  I'm not gonna do that.  I also can't do it on the old TV because there's no picture.  Can we do it possibly on the TV of the friend I want to give this device to?  Plug in my old Roku device to her TV?  Assuming it's got the capability.   Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@SheilaKay, there's nothing that prevents you from plugging the old device into your new Roku TV and using that TV just as if it was the old TV.  On the new TV switch it to the input you connected the old device to (e.g., HDMI 1).  There should be tiles on the Home Screen of the TV for the various inputs.  Then using the remote of the old device navigate to Settings->System->Advanced system settings->Factory reset.  You could also just wait until you get to your friend's house.  Another way to factory reset a Roku device without requiring any TV is to find the reset button that may be behind a pinhole requiring a paperclip or something similar to depress the button.  Connect the power cable to the Roku device and press and hold the reset button for no less than 30 seconds.

SheilaKay
Level 8

Re: I want to give my used Roku device to a friend.

Jump to solution

So, I did this reset, simply pushing the reset button on the device with the device plugged in and a little white light came on after a few seconds and blinked a couple of times.  Does that mean it's done, it's reset, it's cleared of my "stuff"?

Thank you!!!!  :-)

0 Kudos
renojim

Re: I want to give my used Roku device to a friend.

Jump to solution

@SheilaKay, you have to hold in the reset button with the power connected for a full 30 seconds to perform a factory reset.  Simply pressing in the button momentarily just restarts it just as if you unplugged the power for a second and plugged it back in.  If you can connect it to a TV it should be at the "Select a language" screen once it's factory reset.

0 Kudos