Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

I'm trying to set up/active my Roku2 for the first time, not getting activation code.

I'm trying to set up active my Roku2 for the first time. It goes through the set up on screen. It connects to the Internet, it does the download of the latest software then goes off-line,  restarts and then nothing happens,  then it goes back to the set up page again I've done this set up about 7 to 10 times, I never get an activation code.

19 Replies
Level 15

Re: I'm trying to set up/active my Roku2 for the first time, not getting activation code.

Roku 2's are extremely out of date and some channels don't even support them anymore.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: I'm trying to set up/active my Roku2 for the first time, not getting activation code.

There are five different versions of a Roku player with 2 in the name. Three of them are no longer supported, and the two that are really should be dropped. They are old and lacking the power to run the latest channels. 

That said, some users that have had issues with setup have been successful by using an alternate Internet source, such as a phone hotspot. It makes no sense, doesn't seem logical, but it has worked for a lot of users. After the setup completes, it can then be connected to your home network and everything works fine.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 8

I’m having the same problem! Roku stick! Someone help us!!!

Level 21

@Gomez34 wrote:

I’m having the same problem! Roku stick! Someone help us!!!

What model Stick? There are 6 different model numbers, and a few differ greatly. There's so many different things mentioned in this thread, so please identify what your problem is. Saying the "same" makes it more difficult to assist. 

This forum software is having issues today, so I have to type some additional text that means nothing to get it to acknowledge I'm not sending a spam message... Sheesh.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 8

I’ll have to find the box, I only have the sn number. I know it’s 2 yrs old. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

It came in a green box, it connects to wifi. Asks for the update, does update, restarts, but then goes right back to let’s get started screen

0 Kudos
Level 8

Found box, but don’t see model number, it’s from 2016

0 Kudos
Level 21

That last model Roku 2 that was available is the 4210, which was released in 2015. The model 2720 was released in 2013. I have no idea which one you have, unfortunately. 

But, there's a couple of things you can check. First look to see if there's an SD card inserted in the slot on the back. If there is one, power off, eject it and and try again. Another thing that has worked for users that were stuck in a loop like this was using a phone hotspot to connect it to the Internet. It makes no logical sense, but for whatever reason has worked for many people. Once it's all done, you can reconnect to your home network and works fine. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku stick keeps going back to let’s get started screen

@Gomez34 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Couple of things here: How are you powering the device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into an outlet with the provided cables and adapater?

In addition, we recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device and if possible we would also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update your device and finish setting it up. Once your device is updated and setup, then trying switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos