Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm buying a new Roku device and I have a question?

I'm going to get a new Roku device soon and I was wondering when I get the new device should I update my account or unlink my old Roku box?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
fluke
Level 10

Re: I'm buying a new Roku device and I have a question?

I have more than one Roku on the same network so I find it helpful to update the Name/Location under the Roku account.

The only reason to unlink a Roku is if you plan to sell or give it to someone else.  Otherwise, as long as you still physically in possession of a Roku, I would recommend not unlinking it.  If you are worried you might loan the old Roku to someone and forget to unlink it, then I recommend adding a PIN for making Roku account purchases.

It should be noted that despite putting the new Roku on the same Roku account, the authorizations for channels will not carry over.  The listing of channels do get copied to the new Roku but you will still need to re-active channels such as Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc.
0 Kudos

"fluke" wrote:
I have more than one Roku on the same network so I find it helpful to update the Name/Location under the Roku account.

The only reason to unlink a Roku is if you plan to sell or give it to someone else.  Otherwise, as long as you still physically in possession of a Roku, I would recommend not unlinking it.  If you are worried you might loan the old Roku to someone and forget to unlink it, then I recommend adding a PIN for making Roku account purchases.

It should be noted that despite putting the new Roku on the same Roku account, the authorizations for channels will not carry over.  The listing of channels do get copied to the new Roku but you will still need to re-active channels such as Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc.
Well obviously I will have to activate all of my channels. But is it possible to transfer my channels from my old Roku to my new one or will I have to do that by hand? Also I believe that my old Roku is on its last legs because it randomly freezes and other problems to.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"SuperSapien64" wrote:
"fluke" wrote:

Well obviously I will have to activate all of my channels. But is it possible to transfer my channels from my old Roku to my new one or will I have to do that by hand? Also I believe that my old Roku is on its last legs because it randomly freezes and other problems to.

If you link your new Roku device to the same account your existing channels that are on your current Roku device will load onto the new Roku when you perform an UPDATE. But, as the previous poster noted, any channels that require authentication or log in credentials will have to be re-established on the new Roku device.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"SuperSapien64" wrote:
... But is it possible to transfer my channels from my old Roku to my new one or will I have to do that by hand? Also I believe that my old Roku is on its last legs because it randomly freezes and other problems to.

You can have as many Roku devices as you want tied to your account. Channels you "purchase" (including free ones) are tied to the account, not to the box. Once you tie the box to the account, they channels get added automatically.

If you multiple devices tied to your account, removing a channel/app from one will cause it to be removed from the other(s) when the other device(s) update(s).

Lets say you have an older Roku with YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon (Prime Video). Then, say you add a new device to your account. When it updates, it will have those same channels/apps. Now, if you remove YouTube from the new box, the next time the old box updates, YouTube will vanish. If you add it back to the old box, it will reappear on the new box when the new one updates.

The menu order aren't kept in sync, nor are authentications (as mentioned and you already suspected), but the channel library is kept in sync. The only caveat to that is if you add a channel/app to the new box, and that channel/app isn't supported on the old box, it naturally won't appear on that device.

Now, if you choose to have them totally separate -- say the old box is given to the kids and you want kid channels only -- then you can create a new account and run one box on one account, and the other box on the other account. There may be a whole bunch of reasons to do it this way. Kids boxes is why I've done it. But, it's up to you if you want to do things this way or not.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone you were very helpful you answered all my questions promptly. Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

I have several Roku devices in my home including some that are not in use currently. I would update your device's location so you know what device it is because all you have is an id number on your device, which can be confusing if you have more than one Roku device or other devices in your home. If you're not getting a Roku TV for your new device, I personally recommend both the Ultra and the Roku Streaming Stick. Both are devices I currently use and the latter came in handy last year during Hurricane Irma as I had to evacuate. Though I had all my Roku devices with me and HDMI plugs in case I needed it, the streaming stick was a simple plug-in, in a limited space hotel room and it allowed me to have a direct line to keep an eye on what was going on locally with the storm as I had to leave states. No complaints whatsoever about Roku's reliability both before and after that experience and I use the experience I went through with that storm as much of an example as any I had before as to why I recommend Roku before any other streaming device. The one thing I would strongly recommend though if your are going to get a streaming stick is to make sure you get an HDMI extender with it. This will help limit overheating of the device and make it a bit easier to unplug as the device won't be plugged into the TV. This was a lesson I learned when I first got a stick device, but the extenders aren't expensive and I believe Roku may offer one as well. An extender also comes in handy if you have a hard time getting behind your TV and/or reaching the HDMI ports. 

Best of luck to you.
0 Kudos