Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mondstad
Level 7

I have two questions before I buy - audio output via RCA and image through HDMI port simultaneously

I'm ready to buy Roku devices but have two questions related to audio output:

I want to know which is the latest version of Roku with separate audio output through RCA plugs? Also, I'd like to know if I can get the picture through the HDMI port and audio through RCA output at the same time?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I have two questions before I buy - audio output via RCA and image through HDMI port simultaneou

There is no current device with RCA outputs.  The last one was one of the Express models from a few years ago, but I don't think you could get audio out of the RCA outputs when using HDMI at the same time.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

Re: I have two questions before I buy - audio output via RCA and image through HDMI port simultaneou

@renojim wrote:

There is no current device with RCA outputs.  The last one was one of the Express models from a few years ago, but I don't think you could get audio out of the RCA outputs when using HDMI at the same time.

You are correct. The Express+ was the last to support composite output, but an HDMI connection disabled it. The last that supported both simultaneous was, I think, the Roku 2 XS. If that device didn't, it may have been the Roku XDS.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
mondstad
Level 7

@renojim @DBDukes Thanks for the confirmation! I was looking exactly for Roku XDS but my concern is, if the model is too old, it may have problems with updates. Also, I'd like to have YoutubeTV and I want to make sure I can upload the YoutubeTV application. Do you know if this Roku XDS will work normally with the YoutubeTV? Thank you again for your advice!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

The Roku 2 XDS is not supported. That device is 11 years old, was discontinued 10 years ago, and support dropped entirely 5-6 years ago.

None of those "Legacy" devices will run YouTube TV. 

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos