Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mondstad
Level 7

I have two questions before I buy - audio output via RCA and image through HDMI port simultaneously

I'm ready to buy Roku devices but have two questions related to audio output:

I want to know which is the latest version of Roku with separate audio output through RCA plugs? Also, I'd like to know if I can get the picture through the HDMI port and audio through RCA output at the same time?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: I have two questions before I buy - audio output via RCA and image through HDMI port simultaneou

There is no current device with RCA outputs.  The last one was one of the Express models from a few years ago, but I don't think you could get audio out of the RCA outputs when using HDMI at the same time.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 15

Re: I have two questions before I buy - audio output via RCA and image through HDMI port simultaneou

@renojim wrote:

There is no current device with RCA outputs.  The last one was one of the Express models from a few years ago, but I don't think you could get audio out of the RCA outputs when using HDMI at the same time.

You are correct. The Express+ was the last to support composite output, but an HDMI connection disabled it. The last that supported both simultaneous was, I think, the Roku 2 XS. If that device didn't, it may have been the Roku XDS.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
mondstad
Level 7

@renojim @DBDukes Thanks for the confirmation! I was looking exactly for Roku XDS but my concern is, if the model is too old, it may have problems with updates. Also, I'd like to have YoutubeTV and I want to make sure I can upload the YoutubeTV application. Do you know if this Roku XDS will work normally with the YoutubeTV? Thank you again for your advice!

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 15

The Roku 2 XDS is not supported. That device is 11 years old, was discontinued 10 years ago, and support dropped entirely 5-6 years ago.

None of those "Legacy" devices will run YouTube TV. 

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos