Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Owong07
Level 7

I can’t get my brand new roku express off the loading screen

I just bought a roku express and I set it up and I got to the language screen and then I was connecting to the internet. It told me I had an update and I couldn’t back out of it so I did it. And I did this same process twice and I wasn’t getting past that. So I unplugged it and reset it and now it’s stuck on the loading screen. I’ve tried to change the hdmi outlets and the usb outlet from the wall to the tv. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: I can’t get my brand new roku express off the loading screen

@Owong07 

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on you Roku device?

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Owong07
Level 7

Yes, I have tried to do a factory reset on my device. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

But did you do it right? The roku has to be powered, and you need to press the reset key for over 30 seconds and disregard whats on screen until after the 30 full seconds.

Edmund
Aprilhall
Level 7

I am having this same issue! I just bought the express tonight and it goes through the steps and gets to the “update” that I have no choice but to choose ok with, it makes it to 100% and then it goes to the bouncing roku logo and then to a blank or purple screen. It does this over an over. A couple times it’s went back to the beginning and downloaded the update again and then the same problem. This has been going on for hours and it’s super annoying!!!!

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

@Aprilhall If you are having problems with anything new exchange it.

Because what you describe aint normal.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Aprilhall 

Thanks for the post.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can finish updating your Roku device. Then once your device has been updated, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos