Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lisalynn56
Channel Surfer

I can't find the device from my menu on my TV

I have an old Sanyo TV but it does have the menu with the options HDMI as well as other options such as VGA, TV, AV1, SVIdeo and YP BPR1 (whatever that is).  I hooked up the Roku by plugging in all of the cords supplied with the product.  I then went to the TV and tried all the drop downs mentioned and it won't hook up.  It says No Sync.  Can anyone suggest what to do?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: I can't find the device from my menu on my TV

Any modern Roku will use an HDMI connection to the TV with the USB cable connected to the USB power supply that is plugged into the wall.  (It's tempting to plug the USB cable into the TV if it has a port, but many TVs don't provide enough power on USB.)

How many HDMI ports does the TV have?  Is the Roku the only thing on the TV that uses an HDMI connection?  If you list specific model numbers of Roku and (especially) the TV, there might be an on-line manual somewhere that could help.

BTW, YPbPr is Component Video which was the connection of choice in the early days of HD but is now rare.

0 Kudos
lisalynn56
Channel Surfer

Thank you for your reply.  There are 3 HDMI's that come up in the menu but when I click on each of them, they all say No Sync.  I don't have any other thing connected no.  I am on Roku's support page and can't find answers.  I have a manual that came with the product but it doesn't answer this question.  Does anyone know how I can get dedicated support for this issue?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

You can check if the manual lists a specific support method.  Otherwise, when I search for: sanyo tv support, this is what I find:

https://www.sanyo-av.com/us/support/

Since I don’t know the model of the TV, I didn't look any further.  You can also try hooking the Roku to a different TV – as a way of narrowing down which device is causing the issue.  I suspect the old TV, but you never know – sometimes brand-new things have issues too.  Many/most computer monitors use HDMI too.  Of course, most computer monitors don't have sound, but you just want to see if you can get further than "No sync".

0 Kudos
lisalynn56
Channel Surfer

It is on the HDMI port and plugged in there.  When I click on that one in the TV menu, it goes to a blank screen.  Does anyone know what I can do from there?  Also, I only have data coverage (not wifi).  Will it work with just data?

0 Kudos
lisalynn56
Channel Surfer

Is there someone I can talk to for support on this?

0 Kudos
lisalynn56
Channel Surfer

Actually, I managed to find the Roku customer service number.  I am good now.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Boz
Roku Guru

Would you mind telling us what the issue was?  Thanks.

0 Kudos