Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kngsfund

How to use Roku account on a computer away from home

Jump to solution

Some family has told me about Roku. I am away from home often. With other cable providers I was able to add to my account a side account with user name and password that I could go to like Watch ESPN,  click my provider and  sign in my user name and password  and  watch online any of the sports and programs live or replay that they offered. I went to the list of providers ESPN is connected with and did not see ROKU listed.   First, does ROKU provide for that type of side account that can be used to watch your ROKU programming on any computer with out your box or using a ROKU tv?

Second, even if they do, does what I found mean I would not be able to use my ROKU account to go on their Watch ESPN website and watch their replays etc. the way I have been?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to use Roku account on a computer away from home

Jump to solution

@Kngsfund 

Roku isn't a content provider in the sense a cable or satellite service is. Roku is a streaming platform. Other streaming platforms are Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Google/Android TV. There are others, but these are the big four.

You use a Roku device -- a streaming box, a Streambar (soundbar and Roku all in one), a Roku TV (a TV with Roku built in), or a stick -- to launch apps and watch content. For example, you could launch the Netflix app and watch Netflix. Or you could launch the Hulu app and watch Hulu. Or launch the Discovery+ app and watch that. Or ... well, you get the idea.

Now, in addition, Roku does offer The Roku Channel, which is an app. It runs on Roku (of course) and Amazon Fire TV, but not Apple TV nor Google/Android TV. There is also a Web app you can watch in a browser: https://therokuchannel.roku.com/

You can subscribe to some premium services through The Roku Channel, but you're limited to watching them via The Roku Channel. All of those services are available as standalone apps. For example, you could subscribe to Showtime via The Roku Channel, but you'd have to watch it via The Roku Channel app or Website. Or, you could just subscribe to Showtime directly, and launch the Showtime app on Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, Google/Android TV, or Website, and watch that way.

There is content via The Roku Channel that is free. A lot of free content. A lot. You can go to https://therokuchannel.roku.com/ and watch stuff right now.

So, your original question is assuming that Roku is a content provider. It's not. Not really. It's ... well, you saw what I wrote.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Kngsfund 

This is the piece you're missing, or misunderstanding: Roku is NOT a content provider. It's a platform.

Let me try an example using something you may already be familiar with to describe the difference between a platform and a provider: cell phones.

Let's say you want to get a cell phone. A smartphone, not a flip phone. You have your choice of two different platforms: iOS and Android. Don't think about Samsung or Motorola or Apple or such. Those are manufacturers. The platform, which is what is important, will be either Android or iOS. That's it. And those are platforms for smartphones.

The providers for smartphones are Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and such. So, with cellphones, you get the difference between platforms and providers.

Roku is a platform for streaming. That's all it is. It is NOT a content provider. You buy a Roku and you load apps and watch TV. If the app has a subscription, such as Netflix, then you subscribe and watch Netflix.

Note that Roku will use the term "channels" when it refers to apps. I won't. I'm calling apps "apps." To me, a channel is something else. Like NBC. Or ESPN. Stuff like that.

Now, you're asking about ESPN and NBC. Those are channels or services that use apps. The ESPN app (it used to be called WatchESPN, but the app is simply called ESPN now) can be used, but needs to be authenticated against a content provider. Roku is NOT a content provider. It's a platform.

Content providers for ESPN include cable or satellite TV, or streaming services such as Sling TV (Orange), Vidgo, Fubo, YouTube TV, Hulu+Live TV, or DirecTV Stream. You need to subscribe to one of those to watch ESPN.

Content providers for NBC include cable or satellite services, or streaming services such as Fubo, YouTube TV, Hulu+Live TV, or DirecTV Stream. Sling TV offers NBC in some markets.

You can also use an antenna to watch NBC, if you live close enough to a tower for an NBC affiliate. Most people do, but it can be problematic depending on terrain and other factors.

Now, for the Olympics, you can also watch them on Peacock TV, which is NBC's streaming service. No, you can't watch live NBC shows on it, but they are carrying the Olympics on that service. It's $5/month. If you are an Xfinity Internet customer, you can get it free.

Does that clarify?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Kngsfund 

Roku isn't a content provider in the sense a cable or satellite service is. Roku is a streaming platform. Other streaming platforms are Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Google/Android TV. There are others, but these are the big four.

You use a Roku device -- a streaming box, a Streambar (soundbar and Roku all in one), a Roku TV (a TV with Roku built in), or a stick -- to launch apps and watch content. For example, you could launch the Netflix app and watch Netflix. Or you could launch the Hulu app and watch Hulu. Or launch the Discovery+ app and watch that. Or ... well, you get the idea.

Now, in addition, Roku does offer The Roku Channel, which is an app. It runs on Roku (of course) and Amazon Fire TV, but not Apple TV nor Google/Android TV. There is also a Web app you can watch in a browser: https://therokuchannel.roku.com/

You can subscribe to some premium services through The Roku Channel, but you're limited to watching them via The Roku Channel. All of those services are available as standalone apps. For example, you could subscribe to Showtime via The Roku Channel, but you'd have to watch it via The Roku Channel app or Website. Or, you could just subscribe to Showtime directly, and launch the Showtime app on Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, Google/Android TV, or Website, and watch that way.

There is content via The Roku Channel that is free. A lot of free content. A lot. You can go to https://therokuchannel.roku.com/ and watch stuff right now.

So, your original question is assuming that Roku is a content provider. It's not. Not really. It's ... well, you saw what I wrote.

DBDukes

Kngsfund

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for your  help  DBDukes,    So if I went with ROKU and had an account with them, I would still not be able to set up an online username and password in it that I would be able to go on Watch ESPN or NBC on line and log in with that user name and password and be able to watch the podcast replays of games or previous days of NBC’s coverage of the Olympics lets say, as I have been when I had cable providers? 

Let me add, I can’t see anywhere on their website they give a schedule of monthly rates and costs for their different levels of service. How much is it?

Kngsfund

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Kngsfund 

This is the piece you're missing, or misunderstanding: Roku is NOT a content provider. It's a platform.

Let me try an example using something you may already be familiar with to describe the difference between a platform and a provider: cell phones.

Let's say you want to get a cell phone. A smartphone, not a flip phone. You have your choice of two different platforms: iOS and Android. Don't think about Samsung or Motorola or Apple or such. Those are manufacturers. The platform, which is what is important, will be either Android or iOS. That's it. And those are platforms for smartphones.

The providers for smartphones are Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and such. So, with cellphones, you get the difference between platforms and providers.

Roku is a platform for streaming. That's all it is. It is NOT a content provider. You buy a Roku and you load apps and watch TV. If the app has a subscription, such as Netflix, then you subscribe and watch Netflix.

Note that Roku will use the term "channels" when it refers to apps. I won't. I'm calling apps "apps." To me, a channel is something else. Like NBC. Or ESPN. Stuff like that.

Now, you're asking about ESPN and NBC. Those are channels or services that use apps. The ESPN app (it used to be called WatchESPN, but the app is simply called ESPN now) can be used, but needs to be authenticated against a content provider. Roku is NOT a content provider. It's a platform.

Content providers for ESPN include cable or satellite TV, or streaming services such as Sling TV (Orange), Vidgo, Fubo, YouTube TV, Hulu+Live TV, or DirecTV Stream. You need to subscribe to one of those to watch ESPN.

Content providers for NBC include cable or satellite services, or streaming services such as Fubo, YouTube TV, Hulu+Live TV, or DirecTV Stream. Sling TV offers NBC in some markets.

You can also use an antenna to watch NBC, if you live close enough to a tower for an NBC affiliate. Most people do, but it can be problematic depending on terrain and other factors.

Now, for the Olympics, you can also watch them on Peacock TV, which is NBC's streaming service. No, you can't watch live NBC shows on it, but they are carrying the Olympics on that service. It's $5/month. If you are an Xfinity Internet customer, you can get it free.

Does that clarify?

DBDukes

Kngsfund

Jump to solution

You are an amazing person DB. thank you so much, Kngsfund