Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johny
Level 7

How to use Roku 3400x stick on ANY HDMI TV

Hi, 

A while ago, I've received a Roku3400x stick but had no idea what to do with it. But after numerous countless tries and researches, it works! 

Here's how I could connect the Roku 3400x stick, requiring an MHL port or a "Roku-Ready TV" to any TV with a regular HDMI port. Several users already post part of the solution. I'll try to give here the complete picture.

The Roku stick 3400x and 3420 are the only one requiring an MHL port, which is an HDMI port with extra pins used for power and USB-like (MHL) communication pins. Used to be popular. 

The simplest is to try a TV, DVD or BluRay Device with an MHL port. You might have one and not know it. Check the most complete MHL device list, several thousand listed, available at

http://www.MHLtech.org/devices.aspx

. But if like me that's not your case, continue.

Else, beside the Roku 3400x stick, I used 

• - an 'MHL to HDMI switch', 

• - a cell phone with the Wifi Roku Remote application

• - and a Roku 3 wireless (Wifi Direct) remote with pairing. 

The Roku remote is only needed to connect the sitck to your Wifi network. After that, the phone remote app will be your remote.       

The method: Plug your Roku stick to one of the MHL port of your switch and the switch to the TV HDMI port. Power everything and wait for the language-setup menu on the TV. While the Roku stick is still flashing, press the pairing button on the Roku3 remote. It's hidden under the battery cover. Both should flash and syncs after 5-10 secs. From there, you should be able to complete the initial setup, including the Wifi configuration. Rest is only to setup your Roku remote app on your cell phone and Voila, enjoy the view! 

Be aware you will need a ROku account with a credit card number. However, you can configure a secret PIN so nobody will put charges by mistake.

The MHL switch box are 10 or 15$. I'm not sure how much ROku3 wifi remote worth, I saw some used at 15 or 20$. Personally, I first bought the MHL switch box. I really tried a lot of things like config form another MHL tv, replicate another Wifi network, mimic the MHL port & protocol from a computer and smartphone USB... Then, I've bought the Roku3 because I've got desperate to make the stick remote work. Finally, I've discovered by chance that the Roku3 remote paired with the 3400x. 

However, Counting the 3400x is not the latest and greatest tech, the MHL switch + a Roku3 remote might not worth it compared to another Roku >=3 device. Just the switch + temporarily the remote might. Maybe you know a friend with a Roku device or a place to rent them, buy a used one, or maybe having 2 smart TV would be an option, You'll decide.

I would have paid to have this info when I've first received the Roku 3400x stick. I really hope it will be useful for you. 

Have fun!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: How to use Roku 3400x stick on ANY HDMI TV

At this point, you really have to *want* the 3400.  It's so old and end of life.
0 Kudos
Johny
Level 7

"twiceover" wrote:
At this point, you really have to *want* the 3400.  It's so old and end of life.

Well, if it was given and you can live with the limitations, as not having voice command or headphones you can plug on the remote, why trash it? As long as the picture is not choppy and there is no restriction on received channels, that's fine by me. 

You've raised a good point through, I don't know for how long it will be supported. For now, it's still and the day they'll stop, my loss will be limited to that ~10$ MHL switch, which still can be reused as an HDMI switch. So no regret at all.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

There are channel limitations for sure...
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

Johny I don't understand, Roku 3 could be a couple different models of which might use a WIFI Direct remote?  Is this remote using infrared interface of the MHL switch? or WIFI Direct?  Is there a part number?  I still have a couple of the old 3400 MHL sticks lying around and would hate to throw them away, does your MHL switch have a remote control, was there a model number?

You said you paired the remote with the 3400 but AFAIK the 3400 isn't WIFI Direct capable?
0 Kudos