Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Specklin
Level 7

How to switch audio source?

Hi there,

I've a Sharp TV with Roku TV as system and Sony WH-RF400 HF Headphones I plug with mini-jack.

When it's plugged, I get the sound on the headset. If I want to use the speaker of the TV, I must unplug the mini-jack. Problem: the TV isn't easily accessible.

I checked in the options, but it seems I can't select the audio output like I would on a computer.

I found the trick up up down down up up up down down down but it does nothing.

How can I do to:

Option 1: switch from headphone to speaker and speaker to headphone?

Option 2: always use the headphone but mute or not the speaker?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: How to switch audio source?

There is no way to change it remotely. The way it works is when something is connected to the headphone jack, it physically breaks the connection to the internal audio system. If something is plugged in, there's no way to switch it back. That would require a change of wiring within the TV itself. Roku doesn't build the TVs, so that's something the TV manufacturer would have to do. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Specklin
Level 7

Thank you for your reply... even if it's bad news. Smiley Sad

Do you know if I use the RCA plug that could be an alternative?

Another alternative I guess would be to have the headphones and a speaker, both plugged on the mini-jack and then just turn off the speaker when I don't need it...

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

The RCA plug is an input only. You can't get audio out of it. Now it might be possible to connect an adapter to the optical out, and connect the headphones to that. Here's one example of something available on Amazon for $15. I just looked at the audio settings in my Sharp Roku TV and you can turn the speakers off, which I would expect to still provide the audio out of the optical jack. The one thing I noticed is that particular one doesn't come with a power supply. But if you have any sort of wall cube with a USB jack that should be all you need. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Specklin
Level 7

Thank you for your answer.

The optical idea is interesting. If I use it, do you know if an option will appear to choose in the system between optical and built-in?

Alternative idea: plug the headphones and external speaker on the same mini-jack (with a Y)...

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

The Y cable is certainly an option, but requires an additional speaker(s). As to the optical, I have to make an assumption since I've never used it that way. But I would expect the optical out to always be active, and you can simply toggle the TV internal speakers on and off in the Settings/Audio menu as needed.

Dan
0 Kudos