Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

How to stop and exit playback

I want to make sure that I'm exiting Roku properly. So if I wanna stop watching something, I usually just press the back arrow (Roku 3) and then home button. Some people say that you need to press pause first and then back arrow, so which way is the best? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: How to stop and exit playback

I don't think it matters, as long as you get to the Home screen. This is to assure the Roku doesn't continue to stream when you're not watching and wasting your data allowance with your internet provider.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: How to stop and exit playback

Not at all necessary to hit pause first. The Back button will stop whatever's playing. Hitting the Home button at any time will also stop playback, as well as exiting the loaded channel. 

The problem with pressing the pause button, you might neglect to hit back or home. Someone might distract you, or something else gets your attention. With many channels, if it remains paused for an extended time (I have no idea what that time might be), it will resume playback, even if you've turned the TV off. So it's using your bandwidth unnecessarily. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos