Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JesR
Reel Rookie

How to set up when the remote won’t work

Jump to solution

My son reset the Roku, now the remote will not work to set it back up. It is stuck on the language screen.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: How to set up when the remote won’t work

Jump to solution

@JesR Thanks for getting in touch. You can find additional help with remote and pairing issues here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Remote-Pairing-and-Troubleshooting-Help/m-p/514414...

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

What model Roku do you have? All but the Stick models will work with an IR remote, which can be found very cheaply (under $10). Just make sure the packaging states it has codes for Roku devices. If you have a Vizio TV, that remote might work as well, again just for IR control.

WiFi Direct remotes need to be paired with the device. Remove the battery cover on the remote, and there should be a button that can be pressed to initiate the pairing. If the button isn't there, it's an IR only remote. Make sure there's a clear line of sight between the Roku and the remote when using IR. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
JesR
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I believe it is the express premiere. It is an IR remote.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@JesR wrote:

I believe it is the express premiere. It is an IR remote.

Express and Premiere are two different models. The Express is IR only, while the Premiere supports WiFi Direct remotes. Depending on exactly which model Premiere one has (there's several of them), some came with IR remotes and some came with WiFi Direct remotes. If yours is IR, then there's nothing to pair. Just make sure the batteries are good and there's nothing between the Roku and the remote to block the IR signal. 

Dan

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@JesR Thanks for getting in touch. You can find additional help with remote and pairing issues here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Remote-Pairing-and-Troubleshooting-Help/m-p/514414...

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Achiever777
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Is there any other way to set up without the remote?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Achiever777 wrote:

Is there any other way to set up without the remote?

A remote is required, unless it's a Roku with a wired network connection, in which case you could use the app on a phone or tablet. 

If it is a Roku Stick, you have no option but using an official Roku remote. No version of the Stick works with an IR remote, and no 3rd party makes a remote that works using the Roku WiFi Direct connection.

If it's any other Roku player, you can get an inexpensive generic IR remote. Just make sure the remote says it has the codes for Roku players. It will be on the packaging what devices are supported. I've seen several cheap remotes (under $10) that say they not only support Roku but they are pre-programmed for it. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Achiever777
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Express and just bought a genuine Roku replacement remote. I get to the language screen, put the batteries in and the green pairing light flashes and the roku player is blinking blue. I have checked using a smart phone and the remote is remitting the laser light and there is nothing in the way of the player and remote. This is plugged in to a NON Smart Tv and the Language screen says Not connected. What do I do? I have already signed up for a Roku account but cant connect my device?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Achiever777 wrote:

I have a Roku Express and just bought a genuine Roku replacement remote. I get to the language screen, put the batteries in and the green pairing light flashes and the roku player is blinking blue. I have checked using a smart phone and the remote is remitting the laser light and there is nothing in the way of the player and remote. This is plugged in to a NON Smart Tv and the Language screen says Not connected. What do I do? I have already signed up for a Roku account but cant connect my device?

The Roku Express is an IR only device. You can't pair the fancier remotes to it. The basic IR remote is all you can use on it. So, you're seeing the IR signal through the camera. But is the front face of the Express in clear view when you use the remote? IR requires a clear line of sight between the remote and the Express. You can't place the Express somewhere the remote can't see it. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Only the older 3700 express can only be controlled by a IR remote. Later express models like 3900 & 3930 can be paired to a separately sold wifi voice remote. What model of express do you have? 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos