Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

How to set up when the remote won’t work

Jump to solution

My son reset the Roku, now the remote will not work to set it back up. It is stuck on the language screen.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: How to set up when the remote won’t work

Jump to solution

@JesR Thanks for getting in touch. You can find additional help with remote and pairing issues here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Remote-Pairing-and-Troubleshooting-Help/m-p/514414...

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

What model Roku do you have? All but the Stick models will work with an IR remote, which can be found very cheaply (under $10). Just make sure the packaging states it has codes for Roku devices. If you have a Vizio TV, that remote might work as well, again just for IR control.

WiFi Direct remotes need to be paired with the device. Remove the battery cover on the remote, and there should be a button that can be pressed to initiate the pairing. If the button isn't there, it's an IR only remote. Make sure there's a clear line of sight between the Roku and the remote when using IR. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I believe it is the express premiere. It is an IR remote.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@JesR wrote:

I believe it is the express premiere. It is an IR remote.

Express and Premiere are two different models. The Express is IR only, while the Premiere supports WiFi Direct remotes. Depending on exactly which model Premiere one has (there's several of them), some came with IR remotes and some came with WiFi Direct remotes. If yours is IR, then there's nothing to pair. Just make sure the batteries are good and there's nothing between the Roku and the remote to block the IR signal. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@JesR Thanks for getting in touch. You can find additional help with remote and pairing issues here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Remote-Pairing-and-Troubleshooting-Help/m-p/514414...

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos