Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zapta

How to control AVR's volume with Roku's remote?

We are considering switching from Tivo to Roku and are trying to setup a Roku Ultra we got from Amazon. How do we set the Roku's remote to control the volume of our Sony AVR as we do with the Tivo remote?

Our system is made from a Roku Ultra that is connected via HDMI to a Samsung TV that is connected via optical link to a Sony AVR.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to control AVR's volume with Roku's remote?

Sorry but you can't, Roku remotes only control Tv volume, it's up to the Tv to control the AVR by hdmi-cec, but in your case it won't work with an optical cable in use.  

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Roku Guru

I know that one of the "secret menus" has, or used to have, a "control AVR" or something like that which gave access to a limited set of receivers.  I've actually got an Ultra (YJ prefix on serial #) set to control my Yamaha RX-A1020 in my theater room.  My projector does not support CEC.

It's been 2-3 years since I set this up but I know the ROKU remote has basic control for the receiver.

Are you just unaware that this secret menu exists/existed OR do you know that the secret menu no longer exists?

Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

It exists and works, but the steps are not allowed to posted in forums. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Roku Guru

I'm unaware of any rule that would prohibit posting this.  Also if you knew it existed but would not post, why tell people it does not exist?  That's not being helpful.

Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos