Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Herb1

How to connect Roku to tv without a USB port

can anyone tell me How to connect Roku to a tv without a USB port.  Please keep answer simple as I 

am old and far from a tecky.   Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to connect Roku to tv without a USB port

You do not use a USB port, all roku connect to tv's via HDMI input. If your tv doesn't have HDMI input, you'll need an older roku model like 2018 express plus 3910x, it has av port to connect to RCA inputs on older tv's. That was the last model to include analog outputs. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Herb1

HI TivoB....I tried to locate the Roku you mentioned but unsuccessful.  Do you know where I can buy one?

Unable to call Roku on phone and I did not see it on the website.  Thanks,   H

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

You can get one renewed on amazon for $39.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express-Powerful-Streaming-Composite/dp/B07BNP7DMM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&k...

Someone other than amazon is trying to get $85 for it new condition. 😞

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Ccolbyjl

Amazons ripping you off for $85 as usual they’re rip offs and hurting small business that’s why I don’t order from Amazon I’m for small business if you have a USB port I’m pretty sure you can hook up Roku with a Roku stick!

You can you get a Roku stick at Walmart for $30 or less as did I!

Hope my Reply has helped!

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

A few notes here: 

Those high-priced ones on Amazon are not from Amazon but from Amazon marketplace, which is more or less like ebay with thousands of small vendors asking whatever they want to ask. On Amazon, its all blended together and you have to look at the "ships from" and "sold by" fields if you care who you are buying from.

Those old Rokus are not the same as the new ones so going to Walmart wouldn’t solve the OP's issue.  (And Walmart is not exactly small business either.)  Oh, and the OP's issue isn't 100% clear and he hasn’t been back since his first posts from 20 months ago…

What happens is that when a company like Roku stops selling some old thingy, people buy them up, often at blow-out prices, and wait for people with old equipment that require obsolete connectors to realize they want one.  Then they resell them at ginormous markups on ebay, Amazon Marketplace etc. 

Kamrok

To a tv with HDMI but no USB…I just used my power bank. I’m actually doing this right now for the 1st time as I write, I have no idea how long it’ll last, I’m guessing not long. I have more than one power bank so this’ll work for my purposes for now. I guess I can move my old DVD player or my laptop that has USB so I can power the Roku.

I hope this helps anyone who finds this. 

ps. Nothing else is close enough to the tv at this time to power the Roku. This was just a quick fix.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

I’ve bought the Roku Express+ 3910 from Walmart back in February 2020 when they still had it in stock. (currently it’s no longer in stock anymore, not to mention that production of the model was discontinued back in summer/fall 2018).  The packaging on mine was copyrighted 2018 on the bottom of it when I got the unit in the mail, which makes me assume that the unit I bought was one of the last 3910 units sold by Roku.  Two years later, it still works great.  Beware of the ones on Amazon — you could probably end up with either the 3710 from 2016, or a generic kit that includes an HDMI-only Roku model and an HDMI-to-A/V converter.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Kamrok wrote:

To a tv with HDMI but no USB…I just used my power bank. I’m actually doing this right now for the 1st time as I write, I have no idea how long it’ll last, I’m guessing not long.

By power bank, I assume you mean connecting to your house power via a power strip that has a USB power port, or a separate USB adapter plugged into house power.

In many cases, this is the preferred means of powering a Roku device.  The USB ports on many TVs, especially older sets, only supply 0.5 amps or less, which is not enough to reliably run a Roku device.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos