Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

How to avoid charges by renters

Jump to solution

Hello,  

My question is this-I just bought a roku stick and 2 roku tv's for a nightly rental cabin.  I was immediately asked for my credit card info to set up an account.  I want to use roku to avoid cable box charges only and do not want renters to have my personal info or be able to charge streaming services to me.  Is there a way to do this or do I need to return all the equipment?  I would like it to work like netflix-they use their own sign on info.  

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: How to avoid charges by renters

Jump to solution

You can have pin so nothing will be charged without knowing that pin for roku account. Channels like amazon, vudu, and apple can have pin too, or just don't sign in to those channels. It might be an old renter who gets charged for leaving their credentials on an app and later renter charges something. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@altima12 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend taking a looking at the Guest Mode feature available on your Roku device. This would probably best fit your current needs.

For more information regarding Guest Mode, visit our Support page here: How do I set up Guest Mode on my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Guest mode will ensure your guests will use their own credentials for Netflix & other streaming services. However, you will need to login the Cable TV app on the Roku while in Guest Mode. Once the visitor is checked-out the Roku resets all of the guest mode settings. You'll have to repeat the process again prior to the arrival of your next guest. If you're concerned about visitors being able to charge movies to your Cable account, etc., I would create a secondary Cable TV user login, limit the ability to purchase content, then use that secondary account to sign-in to the cable app in Guest mode. 

6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

You can have pin so nothing will be charged without knowing that pin for roku account. Channels like amazon, vudu, and apple can have pin too, or just don't sign in to those channels. It might be an old renter who gets charged for leaving their credentials on an app and later renter charges something. 

Edmund

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@altima12 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend taking a looking at the Guest Mode feature available on your Roku device. This would probably best fit your current needs.

For more information regarding Guest Mode, visit our Support page here: How do I set up Guest Mode on my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I saw that but thought they would not be able to use it for my intended purposes which was to use them as cable boxes through my cable service.  I am trying to save on the cable box rental charge and allow them to stream other content on their account-not mine.  That is what I am trying to figure out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

go into guest mode and search for the cable app in roku.,if your cable company has one.

you may need to make an order pin so they can't PPV.

when they leave,you'll need exit guest mode and go back and set it up again,or easier,delete channels they made,so you not sharing someone's account.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Guest mode will ensure your guests will use their own credentials for Netflix & other streaming services. However, you will need to login the Cable TV app on the Roku while in Guest Mode. Once the visitor is checked-out the Roku resets all of the guest mode settings. You'll have to repeat the process again prior to the arrival of your next guest. If you're concerned about visitors being able to charge movies to your Cable account, etc., I would create a secondary Cable TV user login, limit the ability to purchase content, then use that secondary account to sign-in to the cable app in Guest mode. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Sign back into your account, add a pin number, and go into your payment method, and at the bottom, you can remove your payment method. I would do both, that way they cannot add channels.