Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

How many Roku devices do I need to buy?

Jump to solution

Hi all, this is all new to me...do I need to purchase a Roku device for every TV I have? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: How many Roku devices do I need to buy?

Jump to solution

Roku players have a single HDMI output, designed to connect to a single TV. You could of course use a video distribution system to send the output to multiple TVs, but then they will all show the same thing at the same time, and control might be difficult depending on the model Roku and distance between the Roku and remote. In addition, a distribution system would likely cost more than buying separate Roku players for each TV. So yes, you need a Roku for each TV that you want to be able to access Roku services on.

There's no restriction on how many Roku devices can be added to a single Roku account. And there's no charge for registering each Roku to the account. Beware of scam sites that try to sell you an "upgraded" account. Note that every Roku registered to a Roku user account will all have the same channels installed, and removing a channel from one will remove it from all. If you require different channels on different players, then you need separate Roku accounts. Again, there's no charge for this. You just need a different email address for each one.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Roku players have a single HDMI output, designed to connect to a single TV. You could of course use a video distribution system to send the output to multiple TVs, but then they will all show the same thing at the same time, and control might be difficult depending on the model Roku and distance between the Roku and remote. In addition, a distribution system would likely cost more than buying separate Roku players for each TV. So yes, you need a Roku for each TV that you want to be able to access Roku services on.

There's no restriction on how many Roku devices can be added to a single Roku account. And there's no charge for registering each Roku to the account. Beware of scam sites that try to sell you an "upgraded" account. Note that every Roku registered to a Roku user account will all have the same channels installed, and removing a channel from one will remove it from all. If you require different channels on different players, then you need separate Roku accounts. Again, there's no charge for this. You just need a different email address for each one.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for the information.  I really appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

Seperate accounts is good advice atc.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

You may want to check your tv apps too. I love my roku but I've seen TVs with the roku built into them plus some smart TVs may have all the apps you need the devices.

That said, I love my roku devices so much that i would always say get one per tv too

* Enjoying my On-Demand Life *
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution
Some paid channel subscriptions may limit how many sets you can stream to at one time. My Netflix account, for instance, limits me to two simultaneous streams.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you. 

0 Kudos